Friday, August 21, 2015

Ginger Jeans Take Two


After making my first successful pair of Ginger Jeans, there was always going to be a subsequent versions and due to jeans being my go to weekend and at home uniform of choice at this time of the year, I felt the need for more in my wardrobe.  I wasn't entirely happy with my fabric choice last time so this time I made it with some stretch denim with 30% polyester content from Fabric.com.  I was a little disappointed with the weight of this stuff when I got it here but it has since surprised me. 



I downloaded the updated low rise version of the pattern and again taped it all together and increased the rise by 1.5cm in both the front and back.  I made the stove pipe version narrow like the skinny version.  Despite the measurements indicating a size 10, I cut the pattern to a size 6 and pretty much made it exactly to the pattern.



I top stitched using a jeans twin needle and upholstery thread left over from my Jalie Jeans.  The pockets are made of Italian cotton shirting which was rescued from a discarded business shirt of my husbands. 



My only disappointment is with the zip which doesn't slide easily but it seems to be wearing in gradually.



 

I love this fabric so much now that I tried to order more.  Sadly it is now out of stock.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Tessuti Alexa Tees



The lure of The Fabric Store's winter sale was too much for Courteney and I, one miserable Sunday afternoon.  We pulled on coats and boots and drove across town in snow in pursuit of merino.  We had master 11 in tow, who was most unimpressed by the idea of fabric shopping especially when he realised the only fabric he was even remotely interested in, swimwear in lurid colours, was not even in stock. Our efforts were not in vain and we arrived home looking like very cliched shoppers.  The score of the day was my find but Courteney's purchase, some beautiful double faced plaid wool coating by Marc Jacobs.  This will become a coat for next winter.  In the meantime though, there were two pieces of merino knit that were earmarked for immediate attention.

After I had completed my holiday sewing, I offered to make both pieces up.  Courteney doesn't have a lot of experience sewing knits and didn't want to risk ruining her lovely merino fabrics.


We opted again to make up Tessuti Alexa, a short sleeved version for the lightest weight piece and the long sleeve version for heaviest.  I lowered the neckline 3cm on both tops.  I almost came to grief on the first top, melting the shoulder seam but fortunately there was enough length to recify it.  For the second top I made sure to use a pressing cloth.  Both tops were hemmed and the neck topstitched with a twin needle.

Courteney is pretty happy with both tops.  The long sleeve one will make a lovely layering jumper for spring and notoriously cold lecture theatres.







Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Lindy Petal Skirt



Given I have used the back and waist pieces of Lindy Petal Skirt, twice already, I thought it was about time I made it up as intended.  I bought a piece of lovely quality ponti at Fabric Vision for this exact pattern which is an unusual process for me.  Usually I do, fabric first, pattern second.




This was a really quick make and the resulting skirt is a really good work staple.  In ponti, it has enough elastic that I can tuck in tops if required.  I will certainly make another at some point in a lighter colour.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

It's A Keeper




I made a new dress.  The first version of New Look 6145, I was not 100% happy with and in hindsight I think fabric choice may have had a lot to do with it.  Last time I made the dress out of stretch cotton sateen and I felt it was just to big and the neckline too wide. This time I chose wool silk from The Fabric Store. For this version, I narrowed the neckline by 1.5cm on each side.

I did manage to make a rather large mistake.  The dress was coming together nicely when I realised that the grey squares were not symmetrical and my pattern matching at the side seams was off by one square.  Oh No!  I did not have enough fabric left to cut a new front and love the fabric so wasn't willing to scrap the project.  Fortunately in this instance anyway, I am a vertically challenged person and there was enough length to just recut the front one square shorter.  I actually really like the shorter length at this time of the year with tights and boots.



My original vision for this dress had an exposed zip at the back but in the end I discovered the perfect length regular zip in my stash so couldn't justify the extra expense of an exposed zip. I had also planned to include bias cut patch pockets but this was abandoned for fear of appearing too busy.  I like the simpler silhouette much better.



I am really thrilled with how this worked out.  I love this dress and the pattern really works in a non stretch fabric.  I have decided this pattern is a keeper after all.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

End Of July Wrap Up












End Of July Wrap Up

Grainline Cascade
Fabric $20.38
Pattern $29.00
Lining $18.00
Toggles $5.00
Cord $5.00
Total $118.76

Sparkly McCalls 6992
Pattern (used before) $0.00
Fabric $10.00
Zips $5.00
Total $15.00

Lekala Blanket Jacket
Pattern $4.00
Fabric $25.00
Lining $2.00
Total $31.00

My Image Cowl Top
Pattern $10.75
Fabric $0.00
Total $10.75

White Plantain
Fabric $9.00
Pattern $0.00
Total $9.00

Stripe Plantain
Fabric $7.50
Pattern $0.00
Total $7.50

Pink Plantain
Fabric $12.00
Pattern $0.00
Total $12.00

Red Morris
Fabric $2.00
Pattern $0.00
Interfacing $0.00
Total $2.00

Total Me Made $206.01

Total RTW $0.00