End Of 2014 Wrap Up



It has been a huge year in our household.  It began with my 17 year old daughter going on a school trip to India for a month and actually missing Christmas.  In the middle of the year she turned 18, so is now officially an adult.  This was followed by her year 13 formal and finally high school graduation.  To mark the occasion of her last school formal I once again made her dress and this is without a doubt my greatest sewing achievement of the year.



Rated second on my achievement list is more of a lightbulb moment than achievement and that came in the form of  'M's' waistcoat.  Although not technically difficult to sew it did sew the seed, if you pardon the pun, for more menswear in the future.




 Number 3 on my list is a more recent make, and is the latest pair of Jalie Jeans I made this month.  I am really pleased with these and would love to clone them half a dozen or so times because jeans are the true work horse in my wardrobe. 




Number 4, is another workhorse although has been put into storeage for the summer.  My wool coat was the most worn item of the winter.  Aside from the fact the fit is perfect, the style enables it to be worn over multiple layers for both casual and work.




Number 5, is a tee shirt.  This is the least technically difficult and quickest make of all but I really love the fit of the multiple Tessuti Alexa's  I have made this year.  There are currently two leading favourites, my black and grey quilted version and my black and blue striped short sleeved version.




In the special mention category has to be the Grainline Archers.  I love this pattern and there will be more in 2015.  




Oh and let's not forget to mention Sewaholic Belcarra.  To date I have made 5.  My favourite is my most recent, the bird print. It is also my most successful chiffon make to date.  I have discovered, I am no longer intimidated by sheer fabrics.

My total me mades this year come to $1,103.08

My total rtw purchases this year came to $980.34

I am not even going to count how many items I made or whether they were tops or skirts etc. because at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter.   I have ended up with some real tnt items in my wardrobe and that is really what I hope to achieve when making clothes for myself.  As nice as pretty one wear items are, they really are not a great use of my time or other resources.  For 2015, I hope to extend on this and have more trousers and skirts and perhaps a couple of dresses for good measure.  

Comments

  1. It looks and sounds like you had a wonderfully successful year of sewing in 2014. I really enjoy reading your blog because your items are all very realistic and easy to relate to. I like a pretty party dress as much as the next person, but I love seeing a well crafted wardrobe of everyday clothes. Happy sewing in 2015 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn. Everyday clothes are my target. I am basically a practical person and really don't see the point in making items that sit unworn. I make what I love to wear and therefore love what I make....usually :). Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. What a great year! I too love your jeans and wool coat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the clothes you make. They're always so wearable and well made. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I aim for even more wearability this year!

      Delete
  4. I've really enjoyed your posts in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic year of sewing. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing what you make in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I look forward to your 2015 posts as well.

      Delete
  6. looked like a great year! wishing you a fabulous 2015!

    lifeisashoe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts