Ruskaish Dress



I wear my knit shift dresses regularly in the summer and despite them now being a few years old, both of my current ones are still favourites.  I wanted to add to this collection but to keep my wardrobe current, add a twist.  Breaking The Pattern, and in particular the Ruska Knot Dress, caught my attention.  



I have a few long lengths of cotton lycra that I have picked up on the sale table at Fabric Vision when I see it there.  It is lovely quality and holds it shape well.  Since bright pink is having a moment I thought it was an ideal time to make this piece up.  


I traced the Ruska Knot Dress and then compared it to my trusty tnt pattern McCall's 6886.  I discovered that the two patterns were quite different through the neckline and shoulders.  Rather than risk making the dress and having it not fit, I decided to adapt the McCall's pattern to suit my needs.  I simply traced the bottom of the overlay of the Ruska Dress and replicated the knot part onto my McCall's pattern.  



This dress was a really quick make.  I have made this pattern several times before.  I didn't have quite the right pink overlocker thread so decided to work with what I have and used a slightly purply shade in my loopers.  I wish I hadn't now because those ties are just turned and topstitched so when they flick around, you can see the overlocking thread.  It isn't a deal breaker and because my fabric has a reasonable amount of weight to it, it doesn't really happen often but it does mean I have to be super particular with how the dress is tied and how the tie is sitting.  If I make this dress again, I will definitely go to the trouble of correct thread.  



I really like the dress, and like my other versions, it will get worn a lot.  I can see myself making another version like this again in the future.




Pattern $30.00
Fabric $9.00
Total $39.00


Comments

  1. Last year, I used B6621 to mimic the Ruska. I have the book checked out from the library and plan to trace off the pattern and compare it - M6886 is a great comparison pattern. I've made that one at least 5/6 times.

    I love your dress! The color is just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are a few really good looking patterns in that book.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts