Wool Longline Cardigan


 Sometimes a pattern becomes a tnt to such a level that there really are no more words to say about it and this is certainly the situation with my latest cardigan.  


The pattern was adapted after the fruitless search for the holy grail of cardigan patterns.  You could probably call it a mash up of all the things I love.  It has a v neck, set in sleeves and buttons in the front should I need it to, although to be fair, I can't remember the last time I did that with a cardigan!  I have lost count of the number of versions I have made but since cardigans are a big part of my winter wardrobe, at least one each winter lately.


My latest cardigan is made using some lovely heavy wool blend knit that I bought off Fabric Vision's sale table some time last winter.  It is in fact the same fabric that I made my Mum's cardigan in, from the last post.  Where her's is made using Helen's Closet, Blackwood Cardigan, hacked to include a front closing, mine although very similar in pattern and identical in construction is my own tnt.  Where is the difference?  Well I found the Helens Closet Cardigan to be a bit too snug of a fit for my liking.  I like a cardigan to be more of a layering piece than a hero piece so need room to layer shirts, tees and the likes underneath.  I also found it to lack shaping.  None of this is a criticism of the drafting of the cardigan more of a preference to how I like mine to fit.  Of course I could have just made a larger size, but then this would mean it would not fit across my shoulders.  So of course, I reinvented the wheel!



Since my cardigan was made before Mum's the actual way I made it to include the reverse side of the fabric as the bands, was a deliberate design choice and I liked it so much I copied it for her cardigan.


My cardigan was made at the start of lock down and I had to wait until after lock down ended to add the button holes, so was one very long drawn out process for a simple cardigan.  The weather has just turned very winter like so I haven't needed it up until this point anyway, but it will certainly come in handy and be a nice alternative to black or grey as a neutral over winter.  Boy for a cardigan I didn't have much to say about, I certainly managed to write a lot of words!

Fabric $22.50
Pattern $0.00
Buttons (from stash) $0.00
Total $22.50


Comments

  1. This is gorgeous and exactly the style I also wish I could buy a pattern for! Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am sure with your skills you can draft one yourself!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts