1970's Inspired Skirt


 
My Mum has a  friend who when she found out I sewed, gifted me a lovely piece of wool crepe.  It was a generous sized piece of fabric and at the time, my mother remarked to her friend that I would probably make a jumpsuit from it.  I must say I did entertain the idea, because how cozy would that be for the winter?  I love the idea of jumpsuits but they tend to be some of the less worn items in my wardrobe and  I didn't want to walk around looking like I had escaped from prison. This lovely and I suspect vintage fabric deserved to be treated with a little more respect.   This lady has just celebrated her 90th birthday so this fabric may well have been bought in the 1970's  I thought, why not make myself a 1970's inspired skirt.  I remember my Mum wearing lots of A line skirts in the 1970's.




I have had New Look 6346 sitting in my pattern collection for a couple of years now.  I must have bought it in an online sale.  Like a lot of my good ideas, they often take quite some time to come to fruition.  But every pattern has its day eventually and this one is no exception.  

My skirt would have been a very quick make, had I not made it one size too big.  I chose a size 16 based on my measurements.  I never know what size to make in the big 4.  I am generally a size 10-12 in the lower half in rtw so a size 16 pattern came as quite the surprise. I tried it on after assembling the waistband and discovered that it sat about an inch below my natural waist.  I wanted it to just sit at my natural waist.  I decided to unpick both side seams and run it in 0.5cm.  Next time, I may be able to get away with a size 14.  I say next time because this skirt in this lovely drapey fabric is a keeper.


I think I have done my gifted fabric justice and in this colour with the cognac knee boots, I think I am definitely channeling that 1970's  vibe.  Despite burnt orange or paprika as it seems to be called,  not being a colour that really suits me, this skirt fits in well with my wardrobe and I can see it being worn with a few different tops that are already there.  I would call that a win!

Pattern $10.00
Fabric $0.00
Buttons $0.00
Total $10.00

Comments

  1. It's fabulous! What a magnificent gift. I generally still sew my RTW size in big 4, despite the measurements usually suggesting a couple of sizes larger, but I always check the finished measurements on the pattern pieces. Sewing sizes are always confusing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be much more helpful if more finished measurements were given. I tend to find with Big 4 that the sizing is all over the place.

      Delete
  2. Love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so beautiful in that skirt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts