Over Dressed


With the mercury hovering in the mid thirties today, dresses with sleeves were not my attire of choice but with another month end looming and very little to blog about in the latter half of the month, I donned my new Colette Macaron for the good of my blog.

Now this dress is made of leftovers.  The top part of the bodice is made with some cotton knit left over from this top and the rest of the dress is made from some lovely crinkle cotton woven left over from a skirt that I didn't even like after completion and predates my blog.  I absolutely love this fabric so it is nice to make something wearable out of it.  The dress itself, I cut to a size 4 and graded out to a size 6 in the hips but in hindsight I could have stayed with the size 4 as the skirt is actually quite a loose fit design.  I finished the neck by stitching a band around the top right sides together and then flipping it over to the back and top stitching it flat.  I am really pleased with the way the bodice turned out.  The knit was a good choice because it does allow for lots of movement.  



I inserted an invisible zipper as per the instructions but my one complaint, and I am not sure how it can be remedied, is that it is very difficult to get one.  I am afraid I am going to rip it under the armpits when I put it on, even though I raised the zipper area closer to the armpit area.

I deliberately left out the pockets, because I felt it added bulk to the front of the dress and were more decorative than functional.



All in all, I am pretty happy with the way this turned out.  I do seem to have an over population of dresses in my wardrobe this summer. It is a good job really that it has been so hot that they all make it into regular rotation.

Comments

  1. This is lovely fabric. Great that you got a chance to use it after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has only been waiting for around four years! I still have a little bit left which may become a shell top

      Delete
  2. These colours work well on you. You must be very happy to have a great selection of dresses to rotate through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, choice is always good. I think I must be a lazy dresser because dresses mean I don't have to coordinate in those rush weekdays.

      Delete
  3. The fabrics are terrific together, what a lovely dress, which looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. When I saw them in my stash together I knew that I had to work them together and while I was at the fabric shop, the sales lady had the perfect dress on in this sort of combination. It wasn't a Macaron but a similar style.

      Delete
  4. Love your dress. This is the second Macaron I have seen this morning. I am beginning to think I need to get this pattern, it is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice pattern. I had reservations about it to start with but it does look lovely on. Whether I would make a second one, I am not sure.

      Delete
  5. Those colours are really nice on you... a really good dress for autumn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Funnily enough there have been a few cooler days since making this that would be suitable. I hope that doesn't mean the end of summer!

      Delete
  6. I really adore these colours, the teal and the muted floral are just gorgeous - nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this fabric as well but it has been a long road from buying it to actually finding the right pattern.

      Delete
  7. I'm with Carolyn - those colours are gorgeous together and on you! A lovely macaron :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts