Anzac Day

For anyone reading this who is not from New Zealand or Australia, today is Anzac day.  A day when New Zealand and Australia stop and remember our  soldiers, particularly those lost in World War I and World War II.  The day starts with dawn parades across both nations.  I admit I didn't attend but I did make a batch of Anzac biscuits this morning which is something I don't think I have done before.  The kids approved so I suspect there will be more.  Anzac biscuits were common in care packages to soldiers because they are both economical to make and if my memory serves me right also because they were robust enough to survive the postage.


Because everything was closed this morning, we took the opportunity of a bit of free entertainment this morning in the form a walk from Victoria Park to the Sign of the Kiwi and down again.  The view was outstanding from the hills bathed in sunshine, across the sea fog covered plains to the mountains beyond.


It is still way too warm for any sign of snow except on the very caps, thousands of metres above sea level.  These mountains will be blanketed in white in a couple of months.  The western side of the city is hiding under that blanket of cloud.



The eastern suburbs and out to sea, sparkle on a sunny day.  My boys can be seen in the foreground.



And just so we can talk about the clothing, a keeping it real shot of me, wearing Maria Denmark tee, black lycra cropped yoga pants that predate my blog, requisite back pack and Jalie hoody tied in a most practical way around my midriff with all three of my kids posing waaaay back there in the background.

Comments

Popular Posts