Da Bomb


Jalie 2795 has come out to play again.  I have lost count of the number of times this pattern has been used.  This time it has been made into a bomber style jacket for young 'J'.    The creator and designer behind this whole creation was Courteney.  Her vision for this gorgeous piece of orange wool coating was originally a duffle coat similar to Grainlines Cascade but this style was quickly vetoed by young 'J' who is somewhat fussy when it comes to clothing.  A bomber jacket was his compromise.  Even then, I think he was reluctant.  A visit to Fabric Vision unearthed some matching grey wool blend suiting and the lining which I think is the perfect accompliment for an eleven year old boy is a piece of cotton from Spotlight, in charcoal grey with orange spider webs printed on it. I even had a matching grey wool ribbing in my stash.


The sizing was then the difficult part.  Because he is growing rapidly as eleven year olds are prone to doing, I wanted this jacket to last for a couple of winters if possible, so Courteney and I decided to cut the jacket out to the same size as I would wear and just run it in to account for his rather slender frame.


This jacket pattern has a lot of panels and most of these Courteney chose to remove.  The sleeve is cut in one piece as is the back and the hood was just cut to match one of his existing hoodies.

 
Rather than have the ribbing attached to the zip, Courteney added a piece of the orange fabric each side of the zip.  In my opinion this is a much neater finish and I do this on all of my versions as well.

For extra warmth the whole jacket is interlined with cotton flannelette.



Courteney is really pleased with the end result and young 'J' in taking these photos, pretty quickly realised how warm this jacket is, and didn't take it off for the rest of the day.

Comments

  1. It's an awesome jacket - love the colours. I'm so impressed with your daughter's sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do say practice makes perfect and she has certainly had plenty with this pattern.

      Delete
  2. Excellent choice of colors, love the lining. Don't you just love when everything comes together and the person your sewing for loves it to. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a good feeling when the finished item is well received.

      Delete
  3. A girl who sews for her brother AND does it so beautifully?! You've done a good job there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I had much to do with it! In saying that, it is probably the only area she will ask for my advice!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts