Staple Black Wide Leg Pants


 As much as I like to resist the lure of black, it is very practical and goes with the majority of my wardrobe so the lure of the staple black pant is enduring, especially since I fall into the hourglass/pear categories.  Since last years version has now been sent to the charity bin due to fading issues, it was time they were replaced.

This year, I decided I wanted a pair of wide length pants and fortunately for me,  since it was COVID-19 lockdown at the time and fabric purchasing was not an option unless I wanted to order from overseas, I had just the right fabric in my stash.  


The fabric I chose was a lovely quality wool blend stretch suiting that I picked up for $5 for the entire piece  last year in a market day sale at The Tannery.  I think I must have just about skipped back to my car that day, the fabric bargains were just that good!

Because I loved the fabric and there was no option for more, I wanted to choose a pattern that I knew would result in a pair of pants I would love.  Since the last 4 pairs of New Look 6459 have all become favourites, this was a good place to start.  Initially I had written this pattern off but with the removal of the pockets, which I know some people would call sacrilege, they provide a good base with which to make wide leg pants.  I removed the pockets because I find on some pants they tend to want to pull across my hips.  I would prefer pockets but not at the expense of a nicely fitting pant front!

The only issue I had with these is deciding what length I wanted them to be.  I didn't want a pair of pants that was made to go with only one pair of shoes.  So over an evening I pulled out every pair of shoes that I thought I may want to wear these with and chose the best length I could determine for all of them bearing in mind my dislike of cold ankles.



I have ended up with a lovely quality pair of practical pants that are certainly not going to set  the world on fire, but like my previous pair of black pants should be worn until they fall to bits.  I would call that a win!

Fabric $5.00
Pattern (used before) $0.00
Zip $3.00
Total $8.00

Comments

Popular Posts