Hacking a Couple of Favourites




There is a well known indy sweatshirt pattern that has doing the rounds for a few years now, that I have always intended to buy.  I really don't know what has held me back all of this time, maybe it is because I already have a similar pattern that I really like.  This winter has been exceptionally cold lately.  Okay, let me quantify that; exceptionally cold by southern hemisphere standards!  Usually our daytime temperatures fall into double digits celcius with frosty starts and sunny days.  Lately though, we have endured days of rain in a row and temperatures of 8-9 degrees celcius.  My poor sun loving body was not coping so something had to be done.

One day when I was trying to decide what to do with a long time stash resident piece of op shop wool jersey peppered with moth holes,  I decided to make a raglan and just adjust it to include a stand up neckline and high low hem, that I had been drawn to originally.  I simply took my pattern and quite rashly cut it out adding a bit here and a bit there until I got the rough shape I wanted.  Yes, this is a very unconventional approach and one I wouldn't normally recommend but then, this fabric was already in a bad state of repair so nothing ventured nothing gained right!


This was super quick to make up, even accounting for the hem with mitred corners.  I had to use a Youtube tutorial to make sure these were as neat as possible.

I really like how this turned out.  The neck is a little looser than I wanted  but worn with a turtleneck underneath it is really nice to wear and I rather like the effect.


Pants were also a problem in the cold.  My office although a lovely architecturally fitted out building,  does have double height glass on two sides, so keeping the heat in is a constant battle.

I had in my stash some lovely black brushed ponte that is super thick and cosy.  I picked it up at a market day sale at The Tannery last year and there was just enough to eek out a pair of pants.  Rather than just make plain black ponte pants, I had seen a rtw pair with animal print elastic down one side and thought this may add some interest.  I remembered seeing some animal print elastic at Toms Emporium last time I visited there so whipped down and picked up exactly what I was after.



The pattern I used was Stylearc Elle Pants.  I have made this pattern so many times now it has become a real tnt.

I am also really pleased with how these turned out.  They really are like secret pyjamas and can be dressed up and dressed down depending on the situation.  They were super cozy on a crispy winters day on my recent holiday in Queenstown but worn with a jacket also appropriate in the office on a dreary day.

Sweater
Fabric $9.00
Pattern (used before) $0.00
Total $9.00

Pants
Pattern (used before) $0.00
Fabric $5.00
Elastic Trim $7.80
Elastic (from stash) $0.00
Total $12.80

Comments

  1. Great outfit Andrea.
    I love the Elle pants too and have made so many I’ve lost count. My go to warm top pattern is Simplicity 8529 with the funnel neck. Wearing it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thank you for the recommendation! I have added that to my wish list now!

      Delete
  2. This outfit turned out so cute! Secret pajamas for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute outfit! I’m thinking about your weather; Phoenix, Arizona, USA, this week to be over 110 F, I guess that’s over 43 C? Gah, as I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! 43 is extremely hot! Late 30s is as hot as it gets here and even then it isn't a regular thing. I experienced 45 in Las Vegas a few years ago and no thanks! I think I prefer the cold!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts