The Unexpected Mismatched Shirt
Back in April when the entire world was in lock down, I cut out a shirt dress using a gifted piece of stretch crepe from Minerva Crafts. I should have known that a project that required concentration was not a particularly good idea when my brain was all over the place but forge on I did. In the process I inadvertently cut the back and fronts of the shirt dress too short. Just as well I cut my pieces out using the least amount of fabric possible as this was the only thing stopping this whole project being a disaster. I simply popped the pieces aside for another project. This is that project.
I had in my stash this piece of spot chiffon that I purchased off the sale table at Spotlight a few years back and had been taking up fabric real estate in my cupboard for far too long. It went really well together but still I wondered how best to combine the two fabrics to look intentional and not something cobbled together out of scraps. Not that there is anything wrong with the latter but just not a look I could pull off.
After mulling it over for a month or so, I pulled my fabrics out and started playing round with suitable combinations. Unlike the original dress, I decided with this shirt to use the lower sleeves from Grainline Archer but as drafted. No balloon sleeves to emphasize the pattern mismatch on this project!
Once I had decided on a layout it actually came together pretty quickly and you know what, I really like it! Once again my scrap project has surpassed my expectations.