Simplicity 8842 Pants in Linen


In spring last year I made my first pair of Simplicity 8842, amazing fit pleat front pants in wool suiting.  They came up really nicely but sadly the fabric I chose wasn't very durable and they pulled away at the waistband after not so many wears.  They were a nice fit so I was determined to make them up again.

It wasn't long after I made this pair that I picked up a piece of beige heavy weight linen in the remnant bin at The Fabric Store.  I immediately decided that this fabric was destined to become my second pair.

Since I made my first pair, I have dropped a bit of weight around my middle so I did think I may need to downsize but I decided to just go with the pattern I had already cut out and just adjust as needed.

I needed to remove quite a wedge at the centre back seam and scooped out around 1cm at the crotch.  I then did a  thin thigh adjustment to remove the excess fabric that was hanging through the thighs.  From memory I removed around 1cm from the back inner leg seam tapering to nothing at the knee.  

The pocket bags and waistband binding were made from a skirt I made for a dress up day at school (long story that one).  I am not really a fan of one hit wonder dress ups so was keen to recycle the skirt and pockets and bias binding seemed to be a good option.

I am really happy with the fit so I will definitely making this pattern up again.  These pants will be in heavy rotation in my spring and summer wardrobe.


Popular Posts