Burdastyle Denim Skirt

 


After the success of the Burdastyle wrap dress I made earlier in the year, I began to take another look at Burdastyle's petite patterns.  I am 160cm tall so am actually at the absolute upper end of the height these patterns are drafted for so tend to overlook them in favour of their general patterns, that is when I am in the right frame of mind to trace them out at all! As soon as the magazine arrived I flagged 104 from 11/2021 to try.  Unusually for me, this pattern was made up pretty much as soon as I had picked the issue up from the book shop.  I haven't seen any versions of this pattern online which I tend to investigate before making anything up.  I did like the style lines and thought it would work really nicely in a piece of op shop denim that had been sitting in my stash for quite a few years now.  The denim skirt that I made earlier in the season now has a rather obvious bleach stain so I wanted a replacement.




This skirt was pretty straight forward to make.  I didn't have to make any alterations as it fit straight from the packet.  The only thing I did change was to add the curved waistband piece I use on all my jeans. This pattern is drafted with a straight waistband and that just doesn't work with my shape.    To finish the curved waistband I trimmed it in bias tape I made from some leftover Atelier Brunette Viscose.  I love the way this matches the topstitching!  





The sizing with this pattern is spot on and I will definitely make this pattern up again.  I really like the back curved yoke and  the front darts work with the 25cm difference I have between my waist and hips.  I had fun with the topstitching on this skirt.  My only real complaint and it is certainly nothing to do with the pattern, is that button front skirts often gape on me and this one did as well.  I added a snap between the first two buttons but this wasn't the answer so I unpicked it and added a hook and eye.  I added an additional one at the waistband as well.

I am really pleased with this skirt.  It has come in handy as part of my autumn wardrobe when the mornings are cool and the days are warm.  To go with it, I made another of my self drafted tees and couldn't resist adding a little iron on graphic to it.  Being a coffee addict and loving a bit of animal print this iron on just appealed to me.




Comments

  1. This is so cute! That denim color is perfect and the bias tape is spot-on. Super cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I often find the line drawings with Burdastyle give a better idea of the pattern as the photos can often be very average. I will definitely be making this one again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts