Burda Easy Reimagined

 


I am guilty of buying Burda magazines and storing them away to often never make the patterns that so inspired me when I bought them.  This was nearly the fate of 02/2020 Burda Easy magazine until my latest fabric from Minerva.com arrived.  



This lovely heavy boiled wool was gifted to me as part of Minerva's ambassador program.  Minerva kindly donated this fabric in exchange for a blog post.  When it arrived I had grand plans for a long fairly formal coat and this fabric would have looked fabulous in it but I knew that it would not see much wear due to my current casual lifestyle.  I am all about making what I actually wear so this plan was shelved.

After much agonizing and overthinking the situation I decided to make a hoodie type jacket that could be used for walking and an alternative to my much worn puffer jacket.


I found in my pattern stash Burda Easy 02/2020 and the hoodie sweatshirt pattern in this issue was the perfect choice to adapt to what I had in mind.



Because boiled wool has some stretch to it, I wanted to line it with a stretch satin.  I ordered black online from Backstreet Bargains to match the zips I found in my stash.  This was very much a slow sewing project.  It was completed over a couple of weeks.  The original pattern was not designed to be lined so it took a bit of planning to line it.  I also altered the pockets because the tear drop pockets included with the pattern were not even big enough to contain a cell phone let alone face masks and all the other items I tend to stuff in at this time of the year.



Because I wanted this jacket to be able to be layered over fairly heavy layers of clothing, I made it a couple of sizes bigger than was stipulated by the pattern and I was pleased I did because it is nice and roomy and perfect for layering on a frosty morning but equally works well over lighter layers as required.



I am really pleased with how this jacket turned out and it was the perfect choice for my more casual lifestyle at the moment.  


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts