Nailed It!



Let me start by saying, I had great plans for this photograph.  How could I fail....a stunning location, a catamaran and a top I actually love.  What could possibly go wrong?  What foiled my plan was actually the stunning location itself.  This photo was taken aboard a tourist boat in Milford Sound.   Milford Sound is one of the wettest places in the world and the wettest place in New Zealand.  By the time I had posed for this photograph and my husband had dodged nearly an entire boat load of non English speaking tourists who were also eager to take photographs, I was soaked, oh and cold and very much ready to return my seat with the picture window in the warm cabin.  I am not complaining though!  I have wanted to visit this area for a very long time, having never been before.  The stunning scenery did not disappoint and I am keen to go back to explore some more.   I just won't be taking any blog photos in the rain!


The top in question is another Tessuti Alexa.  This version is made from some lovely black quilted knit that I picked up at Cotura Fashions at the end of winter sale a couple of months back.  I love this fabric but resisted making it up until I could decide what I really wanted to do with it.  I briefly considered some kind of jacket but given my current practical sewing streak I decided to make a top which I knew would get much more wear.  I paired the fabric with a piece of ponti that I had picked up at the op shop a couple of years ago now.  I didn't change anything about the pattern and whipped the entire top up within an hour. I was modelling it when Courteney arrived home and she declared she would wear it (ultimate praise indeed from my daughter), so I set about making version two, this time with long sleeves.  We now have just about identical matching tops and no, we won't be wearing them out together!

Comments

  1. Its a great looking top. Our family was so lucky at Milford Sound, we had great weather on this same boat trip - so beautiful, but I bet it was just as gorgeous in the rain- and the waterfalls would be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky with the weather. The waterfalls were an unexpected bonus in the rain.

      Delete
  2. Great top! I am always surprised when my daughters say they would wear something I have made. It's not enough for them to say its nice....wearing it is entirely different. I hope it you warmed up quickly after the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has become a firm favourite for both me and my daughter.

      Delete
  3. That is a very nice top, and I'm sure it warmed you up nice and quick. I really like that you gave it contrasting sleeves. Your whole outfit is very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What bloggers go through to get photos for their blog! Gold star to you for the photos and the top! Milford Sound is on my bucket list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milford Sound has been on my bucket list and I live 8 hours drive away! Shameful I know!

      Delete
  5. Very nice top in a very beautiful location. Love the contrasting sleeves. Thanks for enduring the elements to bring us these photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, more like! Luckily my husband is used to my strange ideas!

      Delete
  6. Ha! I knew you'd be going to Milford Sound after the last post. Love the top - simple yet stylish. I don't remember the statistics exactly but Milford Sound gets very few days with no rain (something like 20 days a year or something and about 7 metres of rain a year from memory) both times (winter) I have been it was, not just sunny, but gloriously sunny (but still cold)! Stunning area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were listening to the commentary. From memory your statistics are correct. Funny though, I have been to Queenstown so many times but never taken the time to visit Milford Sound.

      Delete
  7. Love the black fabric and the combinations. My daughter has just come back from visiting The South Island. She walked the Abel Tasman and visited Milford Sound. She said it was the most beautiful place she has seen and yes it rained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't speak for the Milford Track because I wasn't that brave but the Abel Tasman is beautiful!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts