Oakridge in Marsala
When Sewaholic had their recent birthday sale, I knew the time was right. I bought this pattern and a couple of others at a very affordable price in PDF format.
I cut the pattern to size 6 and graded to a size 4 at the hips. I could have gone down to a size 2 but given the fabric I chose was quite sheer the extra volume would not detract from the shirts appearance.
The fabric I chose is a polyester chiffon from an op shop haul way back here. The colour very conveniently is Pantone colour of the year for 2015, marsala. It looks a little redder in the photos here because I have layered it with a bright red tank underneath.
Once again I prepared my flimsy chiffon with a soak in a gelatin bath. I scaled down the recipe by half. I used 1.4 tsp gelatin heated and added 1.5 litres of cold water. This meant I could soak my fabric in a mixing bowl. I did get some strange looks from my family during the process. I think they thought I had completely lost it this time! I then spun the fabric in the washing machine and line dried it in the sun.
The blouse came together quite quickly. I French seamed all of the seams except the armhole and tie for durability. This did cause me a little bit of angst when I realised I had stitched one sleeve inside out and I had to unpick two rows of tiny stitching on flimsy fabric but I managed and now you would never know. Phew...crisis averted!
Once completed I then rewashed the blouse and dried as normal. I really love everything about this blouse and am glad I waited for just the right project to use this fabric. There will be another of these but I am not sure which fabric I will choose. I currently have two contenders.
My one and only complaint is the sleeves are too long. I had already removed around 5cm before cutting it out but could have removed another two....I know, t-rex arms!