Monday, September 21, 2015

Grainline Alder V2



This dress was on my sewing list last summer but I simply ran out of time.  The need for a loose cool dress to wear in the Las Vegas heat made me revisit it in the depths of our winter.  



My chosen fabric is a rayon that was originally two hideous cheaply made kimono tops on the remnant rack in an end of season sale.  I loved the print so bought two for a knock down price of $10 for both.  The kimonos necessitated a seam in the back bodice.   Other than that small alteration, the dress was put together to the pattern.  


The finished dress I love as much as I imagined I would, although I am pleasantly surprised that I love the gathered skirt as much as the straight version.   Gathers are a complete departure from my usual style but I feel this style of gathered skirt is quite grown up.




This dress will be equally as useful with a jacket or cardigan in spring in New Zealand although judging by the above photo, not so much on one of our blustery norwest days!

6 comments:

  1. Looks good and great fabric find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress and I'm very impressed with how you sourced your fabric. You must have great vision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty dress! I love that you saw the potential in the kimonos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress and yah to a clever remake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great dress, it looks fab on you. I think the rayon helps it fall beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's very cute! I can see why you fell in love with the fabric, it's gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete