Coming Up Roses
I made a new dress and I think I am in love!
My new dress is McCall's 6886, a very popular pattern that has been around for a while now. At the end of last summer I bought a lovely piece of textured medium weight knit in this gorgeous rose print from Backstreet Bargains. I bought it with a plain knit dress in mind. I love roses. My garden is full of them and this fabric is very me. I also liked the mid weight that I knew would hold its shape for a dress extremely well without the dreaded cling factor.
One thing I always do now, is get my tape measure out before I cut into any pattern. I am pretty picky when it comes to fit for any pattern and anything to bodycon is quickly rejected. A quick google search revealed that this dress had the potential to be just that and this is a look that I wanted to avoid at all costs. I decided based on the ease in this dress that I needed to upsize from my usual 10 up top and 12 in the hips to 12 up top grading to 14 in the hips. I am pleased I took the time to do this because the resulting dress is more shift dress than tee dress and I am really happy about that.
I chose to make view A with no real changes to the design. The only thing I did change was to add two darts at the back to account for my sway back. I used my usual woven shift dress pattern and laid it on my pattern pieces and used it as my guide. I intend to use this pattern again so at some point I may redraw the back pattern piece with the darts added.