Simplicity 1366




Simplicity 1366 is a pattern I have been keen to try since last summer. I had previously made Grainline Scout and had a lot of use from all 3 tops.  I only have one of those originals left so wanted a couple more tee type woven tops that are suitable for both weekend wear, or holiday wear as the case may be, but particularly to wear to work.  What I liked about Simplicity 1366 is the darts in the bust. 

 When Spotlight had a recent pattern sale, I hopped online and placed my order.  I can't be bothered with the queues at Spotlight at the best of times and usually find that the patterns I want aren't available when I get to the counter so this worked perfectly for me.
I cut the pattern to size 10 in the body and 12 over the hips.  The fabric I chose was a lovely crepe fabric from Fabric Vision that I bought in the winter.  I think the bright colours on a cold winters day are what sold it to me.  It is a little thick but perfect for transitional spring weather.



After I made the top up I realised that it would be a tad too short once hemmed so I dug through my stash and found a light weight fabric in black and created a false hem.  If I was to make more I would add a little more length to the top.

I am a little bit underwhelmed by the finished top.  I have worn it quite a bit, but I feel it is just too big.  It needs a much smaller neckline on me and the shoulders are also too wide.  If I made it again I would try to downsize it from my usual 10 to perhaps an 8.  This is definitely one of those times I wish I hadn't cut my pattern!


I have just noticed while editing the above pictures for uploading that in the photo at the top, one of the photo bombers in the picture was very much deliberate.  Can you spot that red shirt in the top photo?


Comments

  1. I think your top looks great. Love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've bought this pattern and it is close to the top of the sewing queue. love the simplicity of this design to showcase busy fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a few more simple tops which is why this appealed. It may not be perfect but I suspect I haven't finished with this pattern yet!

      Delete
  3. very timely post! I've had the pattern forever and just now got some rayon I want to try it on. That top looks great on you and IMHO, I think the length is perfect with your skirt! I have narrow shoulders, so i'm paying attention to your shoulder comment that they are too wide. They're mean to be drop shoulders, aren't they?

    PS I've seen so many reviews of the top from this pattern. Wonder if anyone ever sewed that fancy skirt! ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The false hem made for a perfect length on me. I am 160cm tall so this pattern is quite short.

      The skirt looks interesting but not me. I may make the cami though!

      Delete
  4. Oh, dear! Once you pointed him out, your photo bomber reminded me totally of Donald Trump! Scarey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donald Trump! Goodness, I hope not! My photo bomber is my 13 year old son and I don't think he would be impressed with being likened to him.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts