I have dabbled a little in the past using Kwik Sew 3300 which is OK, but without a really good pattern and the correct supplies, the results did not live up to my expectations so I reverted back to my meagre supply of chain store offerings.
Prior to Christmas I bought 1 metre of bra foam from Pitt Trading in Sydney. After making 3 versions of Closet Case Files Sophie Swimsuit, it was time to give bra making a second chance. I did a bit of research into patterns and chose Makebra DL03 because of their online tutorial. Makebra DL03 is described as "Demi-cup type, slightly uplifting bra, suitable also as strapless. Three part cup." To be honest, I do prefer comprehensive written instructions, but this video make it look so easy.
I bought the pattern and set about finding all of my notions. The fabric was a remnant from my stash that had been there so long it was nearly putting down roots. The strap elastic and hooks were from a bulk lot I bought on Trademe several years ago. The white elastic I bought directly from Cordall who manufacture it. The under wires were harvested from an old bra and the lace an old tee shirt. The rings and sliders were bought from Lingerie Findings NZ. The fold over elastic was bought from Lincraft.
The bra was really easy to make using the online tutorial. For a first bra, I am really happy with it. For my next one though, I will use narrower fold over elastic.
It is nice to have new underthings and best of all I didn't have to go through the pain of shopping to do it!