Experimenting with Fabric

Jalie 3245 has been in my pattern collection for quite a while and I have to date made two tops from the pattern.  Recently though I have had been wanting to make a top from a mix of stretch and wovens.  I new this pattern was a lovely drapey fit in a knit but wasn't quite sure how it would translate in a woven.  
I had in my stash a remnant of printed chiffon that I picked up on the sale table at Fabric Vision.  I also had a small amount of rayon knit in this lovely navy and white stripe that I had picked up for another project that was so long ago that I can't even remember what it was!  What I did know was the two pieces would make a lovely top if I could get it to work!

I decided that the best course of action was to cut my chiffon on the bias.  Even then I wasn't sure whether the chiffon would have enough stretch on the bias to fit me.   To be sure, I added 1cm to each of the side seams on both the front and back and then blended this extra width in from the armpit to the sleeve hem on the sleeve, where I didn't need any extra fabric.

I french seamed the side seams for extra durability and for a clean finish on my chiffon but just overlocked the sleeve seams on the knit.  I then created a rolled hem on the front and back and a coverstitich hem on the sleeves.  To finish the top I added a knit neck band which I top stitched flat all of the way around.

I am pleased that this top is a success and I  have worn it quite a bit.  I love the pop of yellow and pink.  It has fitted into my spring wardrobe nicely and as it turns out, is also working for a very wet cool summer that we are currently experiencing.


  1. what a clever idea to mix the woven with knit and it turned out so well. cute! I might have to copy this idea :)


Post a Comment

Popular Posts