Cables Love Pom Poms


 A week before I was due to leave for my family holiday in Queenstown, I decided I needed a beanie.  Not my self drafted and sewn Remarkable Beanie, mind you, but a knitted beanie.  Eek!  Talk about leaving it to the last minute!  The object of the exercise was to make this beanie completely from my stash and also it had to have a fur pompom.

A dig through my wool stash unearthed a ball and a half of double knit black wool which was left over from my Miette Cardigan.  I figured I should have enough wool.

Ravelry was my next port of call.  I saved a few suitable patterns to my wishlist but eventually settled on Cables Love Pom Poms, a free pattern on Ravelry.   The pattern was designed to be knitted in the round but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this when decreasing to nothing so rather than try and fail, I took the easy way out and knitted it flat.


This hat was a quick and easy project and I knocked it out over several evenings watching Netflix.

With my hat complete and sewn up, I got on Pinterest and found a tutorial for making fur pom poms.  I had a size able piece of fur left over from making my orange......  I traced around a bread plat to the my template and then gathered the circle of fur before stuffing it with a small piece of Dacron that I harvested from an old cushion.

With my pom pom now looking like it should, I then stitched it to the crown of my hat.


Queenstown was not quite as cold as I expected this year, but after the sun disappeared for the day, I was definitely reminded that I was holidaying in the mountains and this was when my beanie definitely came into its own.

I am sure I will get more opportunities to wear my hat now I am home.  The weather this winter has been unseasonably mild with lots of frosty mornings warming to lovely sunny days.  The calendar tells me there is lots of winter to come so we could get a real winter yet!

Comments

Popular Posts