Dawn Jeans in Cone Mills Denim



After the success of my first pair of Dawn Jeans, I really wanted to make a pair in rigid denim and new just the denim I wanted to make them in!  I had such a difficult time trying to decide which colour  Cone Mills denim I wanted to buy when I bought my green denim, that when it popped up again at Miss Maude NZ, I bought more in wine and mustard.  I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do with the mustard buy knew the wine was destined to become jeans.


Since Megan Neilsen's Dawn Jeans work so well for me with very few alterations, these were the obvious choice.  I love the look of wide leg jeans, but being short, they aren't the best look for me and the straight leg Dawn Jeans give a wide leg sort of look without making me look like I have no legs.

These jeans were front of mind when we were heading into shut down, so a zip was on my last minute shopping list.  Just as well, because not just any zip would do with this colour denim!  Lincraft surprisingly had the perfect colour zip in stock.  My daughter found a piece of Liberty Tana Lawn in the scrap bin for the pocket bags, I already had the rivets and the topstitching thread was a last minute addition to my shopping basket.

My first pair of Dawn Jeans were made from duck canvas and it is quite surprising the difference making them in denim makes to the fit.  For this pair, I had to remove more from the centre back and also do a thin thigh adjustment because they were bagging under the seat.  This adjustment and scooping of the crotch seam did the trick.  There is still some pulling at the back of my calves, so for my next pair, I think I need to do a full calf adjustment.  This is not a deal breaker though with this pair, just a minor annoyance.


I absolutely love these jeans!  I think they are my favourite yet!  My only gripe is that during the try on phase, I broke the zip pull.  Oh how annoying!  I can still pull it up and down but it does grate that something so good could go pear shaped at the final hurdle!  My daughter came to the rescue though. There was no way I was removing that zip once these babies were complete and I couldn't buy another zip anyway!  You can buy replacement pulls on Aliexpress.  Is there anything you can't buy there!  It has been ordered and is hopefully winging it's way across the Pacific right about now!

Fabric $56.00
Pattern $0.00
Zip $3.00
Rivets (from stash) $0.00
Thread $8.000
Total $67.00


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I should really stick to these type of colours. They work so well with the rest of my wardrobe.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts