Baby Steps


Two years ago today, I sat outside in the freezing cold, sipping coffee made on the barbeque while the world shook around me.  My up ended daffodils were discarded to the green waste never to return.  Last year my daffodils were admired from afar.  I could look but not touch.  The coffee however was made indoors and the shaking had reduced.  This year the daffodils have returned to their rightful place on the table and I am reasonably confident they will stay there.  I would however think twice before leaving anything valuable within spill distance though!

There have been 99 earthquakes in the last 30 days.  None of which I have felt.  We have endured in excess of 10,000 earthquakes in 2 years.  The earthquakes have been the largest insured disaster in the world.  These things take a long time to fix.  My house is still broken.

So how am I going to mark such an anniversary?  To start with I am going to drink that coffee and eat the banana cake.  I am then going to go for a walk and help my youngest do his sisters paper round.  It sounds boring doesn't it, but I prefer it that way, thank you very much!

 

Comments

  1. Isn't it great that the shakes are so small now no-one even feels them? So far, not a single kid today has mentioned anything about earthquakes so I've let the memorial-thingy I had planned just slide. It's good I guess, that they are so busy getting on with living. Love that daffodils :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we underestimate sometimes how resilient kids actually are.

      Delete
  2. I presume you live in Christchurch - such a pretty city but it must be scary. We had an earthquake a couple of months - the epicentre was only about 20kms away and it was the largest earthquake Victoria had had in a century. Although it lasted less than a minute we were all quite scared - the house really shook and so noisy -so I can`t even begin to imagine what it must have been like for you guys. Actually NZ holds a very special place for me as my brother is bured in Burkes Pass near Timaru - died mountain climbing on Mt COok.
    I am having a little blogging break but I am still sewing when I can ! Thanks for asking .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earthquakes are scary! Unlike other natural disasters you have no warning that one is coming and despite the best efforts of scientists whether they will return. And yes they are noisy. The September one sounded like a jet plane heading for the house.

      Mount Cook is quite beautiful but quite dangerous. I can fully understand your attachment to the area your brother is buried. It is a lovely place.

      Delete
  3. Your planned day sounds very nice indeed! I'm glad things are quiet at the moment, you certainly have had more than your fair share of shocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did end up with some excitement. A massive lightening storm and hail the size of golf balls. Aparently a one in a decade occurence

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts