Candy Floss


I have been coveting the lovely lace items that have been appearing in the shops this spring.  So, when I found this piece of candy floss reminiscent stretch lace in Lincraft, I whipped it up to the counter and bought the very last piece.  I was a little loathe to cut into it fearing that the outcome would not match my hopes for the fabric and also because I was a little unsure exactly what style I wanted.  Eventually I settled on a loose fitting tee with hem detail.    Since I had so many successes with the Sewaholic Renfrew pattern, this became my starting point.

I cut the top to size 6 but added 2cm at the side seam grading up to the original seam line at the armpit.  I added the width of the band to the bottom of the tee at the back and then used my multi purpose drafting shaper to gently curve the hem upwards at the front.


The sleeves I cut exactly to the pattern but omitted the sleeve bands.


I finished both the sleeves and hem with a twin needle stitch and also used the twin needle to top stitch the neckband down.

The end result is everything I wanted it to be.  The bonus is, I have almost a metre left so now need to decide how best to use it.

Comments

  1. Love it Andrea. Just perfect on you - and how satisfying to have your vision turn into reality! Maybe some lingerie from the leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your and yes I did toy with the idea of lingerie

      Delete
  2. Perfect for summer. Such a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely colour. Sometimes I just find those gems, that I can't leave in the shop IYKWIM.

      Delete
  3. This new top is really gorgeous and very flattering on you. You have been on a top-sewing frenzy lately and I like them all. Can I ask about your 'multi purpose drafting shaper'. Is it one of those curly shaped plastic ruler things? I googled it but got back to your blog! Also, thank you so much for the commenting award - my first sewing award, although it's more for chatting than sewing. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes I have rather been on a top sewing bender. That was a little intentional because I have made rather too many dresses of late. I wasn't sure what to call the shaper hence my description. It is a curvy ruler type thing with a circular looking lump at one end.

      Delete
  4. Tie-dyed lace?! Wow! And I really like your hi-lo shaping :)
    I agree the fabric would make fab undies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right...gotta love the tie dyed lace! Okay, I will add the undies to my to do list.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts