Woven Hudson Pants




Last week the youngest member of the household had a birthday and turned 15.  He has been growing like a weed this year and reminds me daily how short I am.  I know kid, but seriously, you don't have to remind me!  All of this growth meant he didn't own a pair of long pants that actually fit him.

I visited The Fabric Store a couple of months back and found this lovely soft, stretch cotton drill that I immediately knew would make perfect pants for him.  He is a quite fussy and very slim which makes it difficult to find suitable pants.  He doesn't like chino style pants or jeans which rules out any hand me downs.  This is unfortunate because I have quite the stack of hardly worn pants from his brother who also grew out of clothes quicker than he could wear them at this age.


I had previously made True Bias Hudson Pants but never got round to blogging them.  Because he was smaller than the men's size range, I printed the pattern at 90% and this worked really well for sweatshirting knit but I knew the cotton drill being only one way stretch would need to be in a larger size.  He runs at about a size 26 and the Hudson Pants smallest size is a 28.  Since I had less stretch, I made the pants to 28, which proved to be the perfect fit.  I added patch pockets to the back to make them look a little jeans like and ran elastic through the hem bands which I also made in the drill.  I left off the trim on the front pockets and made the waistband as drafted but in the cotton drill.  To finish them off I added a boot lace waist tie.


The pants were a win.  He even commented on how lovely and soft the fabric is.  If I could find more of this stuff I would definitely buy it for the next pair.

Comments

Popular Posts