Linen Merchant and Mills Fielder Top


Back in November while I was waiting for summer to arrive and the weather was stubbornly not playing the game, I was researching and planning my summer makes and not really making much for myself at all.  Usually by November I have a rather long list of things I want to make and the sunshine is often a great motivator.  

My summer clothing making began last year in July when I was making things to take to USA, so by November I already had a few things made and didn't really need much at all.  I did however want to make a casual dress that I could wear with sneakers and I really wanted it to be made of linen.  I had also seen some really lovely rtw tops that were made in a woven with ribbing bands.  I have one already made using a Burdastyle pattern and in chiffon but didn't think it would work well as a dress.   Despite having a couple of raglan tee and sweatshirt patterns, I didn't have anything really suitable.  Rather than work with what I had and just adjust the patterns to suit, I decided to buy a pattern.  So, the research began.  There are a few out there but I wanted to purchase one that had good reviews behind it.  My research led me to Merchant and Mills and their Fielder Dress.  I had never used a Merchant and Mills pattern before and wasn't even sure I could purchase one in New Zealand and more importantly get it here in a reasonable time frame.  I think in the end I purchased it from The Haberdashery because if my memory serves me, Miss Maude were out of stock.  I would check these facts but I have just changed my internet provider and no longer have access to my old email address.











Once armed with my pattern, I decided to make a wearable muslin using some linen from the remnant bin at The Fabric Store to check the fit.  After my initial try on, I was a little disappointed.  I had made a size 12 and it was just too big all round.  Fortunately I hadn't added the bands at that point so sizing down to a 10 wasn't too big a deal.  I also pinched a bit extra out of the armhole seams at the neckline grading out to the regular seam line because the neck wasn't sitting as flat as I would like.  I then added the neckband and cuff bands as per the pattern.  The hem band I did have to take a bit of width out to get it to fit.


Considering I thought this top was a write off after my initial fitting, I really love how it turned out and it is another of those tops that is on regular rotation on cooler summer days.  It looks great with shorts, pants, sneakers and jandals (flip flops/thongs depending on where you live) but also makes a great Friday shirt as well dressed up with work appropriate shoes and pants.



Comments

Popular Posts