Sorrento Bucket Hat




 Right before Christmas when the gifts I had sewed were all nicely wrapped and under the tree, I decided I needed a new sunhat to take on my New Year's beach holiday.  I spent ages trawling the net for suitable patterns before deciding on one that was given away for free.  In the passage of time, I forgot what the pattern was.  The plan was to trial the pattern on what I already had in my remnant stash.  It was only a couple of days out from Christmas so battling the Christmas traffic and ensuing parking issues at that time of the year for anything other than groceries was simply not going to happen.  I found a couple of suitable fabrics in my stash and also a small amount of interfacing for the brim and began making the hat.

Just when I was ready to attach the outer to the lining, I tried on said hat to find out that even the slightest wind was going to send that hat straight into the ocean!  The lack of stability of the brim due to the weight of the interfacing in my stash was also causing me issues.  So I shelved that hat pattern and to this day, it is still sitting in a bag on the floor of my sewing room awaiting intervention of some sort, of which I haven't decided yet.



I ended up going on holiday with the hat I already had hanging in my caravan.  It worked find for it's intended purpose but I did spend quite a bit of time perusing the surf shops for just the right hat that never materialized.



So I was sitting on the beach contemplating life as I tend to do and trawling through my IG feed when I came upon the free Elbe Textiles Sorrento Bucket Hat Pattern and immediately hatched a plan to give this one a try and on my return home, and I did exactly that!

The fabric I used for my new hat was what was left over from my New Look 6446 jumpsuit plus a little bit of leftover quilting fabric for the lining of the crown.  I bought some medium weight interfacing and used that on the upper and lower brim pieces.

I am really pleased with how the hat turned out.  The fit is perfect.  Next time though I may reduce the depth of the brim just slightly as I do feel it swamps my face a little.  It is however great for sun coverage!


Comments

Popular Posts