Liberty Melilot


 
The perfect shirt pattern is somewhat of an elusive beast.  I have several good ones but have yet to find the perfect one.  Maybe I should spend some time and blend all of the features I like from each one into my perfect version.  Until I find that time, Deer and Doe's Melilot comes pretty close!  I like the waist definition on this shirt and the drop shoulder is a point of difference, although I am not sure whether I am sold on this for a long sleeved shirt.  I was keen, however, to try the short sleeved version.

A few years ago, as my birthday present to myself, I purchased this lovely piece of Liberty Tana Lawn from The Fabric Store.  It was even full priced from memory, so didn't come cheap.  I had fallen in love with the colourful bubbles and figured in the right pattern, could be worn with just about anything.  The right pattern though, proved illusive and although this fabric was out of sight for the last few years, it certainly wasn't out of mind.  This summer though, I was determined to use it come hell or high water!  Now summer is actually all but done, so time was certainly of the essence with this deadline.  I could have made a style that I had made before but at the end of the summer, I really wanted to shake my wardrobe up a bit, so something a little different was certainly in order.  Enter Deer and Doe Melilot the short sleeve version.


I cut out the same size as my long sleeve linen version because the fit on this is spot on.  I left off the collar this time, opting just for the stand instead.  The collar on this pattern, in my opinion is what lets this pattern down a bit.  It is quite a narrow collar stand and I prefer mine a smidge higher which is no drama, but the neckline I feel is a bit generous.  It would be great if you were one of those people who feel strangled by anything around their neck but I am not one of those and I feel if I was to button it up, it would be a bit loose around my neck.  If I make this again, and I probably will, I must alter the neckline/collar to perhaps mimic Grainline Archer which is my favourite collar.


To finish the shirt, I added some cream buttons that had been rescued off a business shirt of my husbands.  They are certainly not the star of the show but that is the way I like it.  This shirt has enough going on already.


I had been grumbling about my sewing machine for the last 6 months.  The tension was off and the buttonholes were a nightmare.  Rather than do anything about it, I just kept grumbling until I made this shirt!  The stitching on this is not that uniform at all!  Just as well it is a busy pattern!  The buttonholes had me ripping my hair out, to the point that I think I may have unpicked at least half of them and redid them!  Add to that, the on/off switch was stuck on, so off it went to the mechanic finally!  Now I am having to readjust to my vintage Bernina until it returns.  All of this turned out to be terrible timing as no sooner had I put my machine in to be repaired and we went into lockdown.  My machine has been repaired for about 3 weeks now but lockdown means, I am unable to pick it up and I reeeaaally want to!  


I do like the finished shirt, despite my stitching woes.  It is amazing what a few days in the magic wardrobe can do!  My new shirt has worked well as a transitional piece for autumn, especially now that we are all working from home.  I feel put together but casual at the same time.   Given every colour is just about represented, I should have a multitude of options with this one.

I don't want to make light of the Covid-19 situation because it has caused a lot of genuine suffering, but I will miss the quieter pace of life when I go back to work next week.  The move to level 3 next week means, I will be back in the office, so my daytime walks in the sun with my furry friend will be limited to the remaining day light at the end of the day.  It will also mean that I won't be around to keep an eye on my home schooling teen.  I am sure he will be grateful for that!

Liberty Melilot
Pattern (used before) $0.00
Fabric $39.90
Buttons (from stash) $0.00
Thread $4.00
Total $43.90


.


Comments

  1. Your top looks lovely, the fabric is really fun and liberty cottons just feel amazing. Level 3 in Australia means work from home if possible so I'll be in the home office for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Level 3 in New Zealand means that essential services and non contact businesses are allowed to open. Everyone else must work from home if that is an option. I am working for one of the sectors which are allowed to open under level 3. My company has made the decision that everyone will be in the office except anyone health compromised.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts