When the World Stops Spinning


It is impossible to ignore the effects of the largest health issue facing our planet in recent years that we all find ourselves immersed in at the moment.  I thought I would write a bit about New Zealand's response and how this has affected me because I would like to keep a record of this particular point in time and also because strangely enough, this has changed the way I both think about and go about my sewing process.

On 20th March 2020, two things happened; New Zealand closed its borders to all non New Zealand travellers and the country was put on a 40 hour notice that we would be going into COVID-19  Level 4 lock down.  This mean't that every business except our  supermarket chains, pharmacies, food production and supply chains and front line medical professionals,  must close up and go home for 4 weeks.  Those that could work from home, did so. Those that couldn't just shut their doors and hoped they had a business to come back to.  The financial implications of all of this are yet to become apparent.  There will be fallout given that tourism is our second largest earner with 4 million visitors each year.  That is nearly one visitor for every resident!  Despite all of this I still support our Governments decision. The ongoing tragedy in the northern hemisphere, certainly reinforces this. 

I work in the construction industry, in project support.  I could work from home, so on 20th April, I packed up my desk and set up at home for the next 4 weeks.  Because our sites had shut down, I knew that although I would be working from home, I would not have the work load that I normally would, so I would have time for some sewing projects, so I whipped down to Lincraft and grabbed as many supplies as I thought I would need for the projects that came to mind while I was in the shop.  There really was no time for planning and actually, I did quite well on that day, because really I haven't  needed anything since.

I have been quite lucky, because my husband and son's both work in essential services so have been out of the house for most days, working long hours.  I feel for families that have spent 4 weeks at home under each others feet.  We have done a week now (I lose track) of home schooling and for the most part this seems to be working well for my year 12 student that is currently combining full time work with his schooling; how I am not sure, but I haven't had one single 'I am bored' in 4 weeks so it must be working out well.  The weather has also been glorious.  We have been fortunate enough to get only a couple of days of rain so each day I, with my daughter who is also working from home, have managed to get out for a walk.  I have to say though, walking can be stressful with the numbers of people out walking.  I seem to spend half my time walking on the road because the footpath is busier!  I never in my wildest dreams contemplated this ever happening!  It is right up there with panic buying toilet paper, flour and yeast, and baking being the new trendy thing to fill the day!  While I am on the subject of strange sights, I also never thought I would see a penny farthing being ridden down the street, or a Boeing 747 doing a flyover of the city as a thank you for our hospitality to German tourists during the lock down or that teddy bear hunts would become a legitimate walking activity even for adults! I have also been somewhat amazed on several occasions by the creative side of people that I didn't realise were creative at all.  There are knitters and sewers coming out of the woodwork all over the place at the moment!

So, what have I made during this time of enforced slow down?  Well, actually, I have been very productive!  Yes there have been  baking sessions, and I have also worked on my barista skills because  coffee shops are not allowed to open even under level 3, but in total I have sewed 13 items and finished one knitting project.  I have also turned 5 ready made drapes into custom drapes.  I would have liked to have finished all 7, but drapes are so boring that I ran out of willpower and I can't hang them until the curtain shop is open to buy hooks anyway.  

My fabric stash is looking really good and I actually have a far better understanding of what I have and have given some real thought to what I want to make for the rest of the winter with what I still have there.  It is almost a weight off my shoulders using up the fabric that I have, so this is something I hope to continue with.  I have added 1 piece of flannelette to my stash because this is an essential item under level 4 lock down and I really do need pyjamas for the winter.  

While my husband and I fortunately still have jobs to go back to after this, no one really knows what the future holds so choosing the sensible option and not buying more fabric at the moment is the wise thing to do.  I do know that should I feel the need to add to my stash, I will be choosing to support local because I know all New Zealand businesses will need all the help and support they can get after this.

Tomorrow I will go back to the office.  It is a very different office to the one I left.  There will be hazard tape, road cones, safety screens, hand sanitizer and disinfectant.  This is a strange new world that we find ourselves living in.  Will we go back to our old ways and old lives or will this be a period of reinvention?  Only time will tell!


Comments

  1. So glad that you all were on top of things and hopefully we are all back to normal soon. Well... actually, I am hoping for a new normal in many ways. This has really highlighted inequalities in wealth and especially access to medical care. Stay safe and sane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although there are those doing it tough here in New Zealand, we are quite lucky that the government has been supporting us quite well financially through this. Also hospital care here is free to all which is a good thing because I couldn't imagine being unwell and not being able to get hospital care. It would be quite terrifying! There are still big gaps between the haves and have nots and in times like these the have nots suffer the most. It will be interesting to see what changes if any come out of this.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts