Lockdown Gifting




Over the various levels of Covid-19 lockdown, I made a series of gifts for birthdays and Mothers Day.  I always make something for my Mum for her birthday and this year was no exception.  She is quite petite so it always provides the perfect opportunity to use up small pieces of fabric. 


This years gift included Tessuti Alexa made up in some lovely soft brushed cotton lycra.  This was a super quick make because I have made this pattern for her before, so I knew that it would fit well.  To go with the tee I made Helens Closet Blackwood Cardigan.  Because Mum feels the cold I extended the front bands so that they would overlap and could be buttoned up if required.  The fabric is a piece of wool blend that she chose herself when we were out shopping last winter.  I used the loopy side of the fabric for the right side and the reverse for the bands.  Because I didn't have my sewing machine at the time, I decided to use snaps instead of button down the front.


Mothers Day fell a couple of days after Mum's birthday so I decided that this year I would whip her up a couple of Bombazine Mits using bits and pieces from my stash.  All of the fabrics I chose were left overs and a wool blanket provided the insulation layer.  I added two layers of blanket to the palm side of the mits and one layer on the back of the mits.  I haven't quilted before so this was an interesting exercise.  Fortunately being oven mits, know one is going to be looking two closely at my quilting efforts!


 The last item on my make list, was for my friend who was having a special birthday.  We had booked a week in Bali to celebrate.  Obviously those plans needed to be cancelled but we were lucky enough that restrictions eased enough that we were able to celebrate together. 


 I felt really bad for her so I had a dig around in my fabrics and found enough bits and pieces to make her a bag.  My daughter kindly donated me some polar fleece as a interlining to give the bag some structure because I didn't have any compressed dacron.  The lining was a business shirt of my husbands and the zip was rescued from an old jacket.  The two sparkly canvas fabrics were bought for a bag that never eventuated and the base was a piece of waterproof oxford nylon that my daughter had bought for another project.  I was super pleased with how well all of the fabrics went together and my friend was thrilled with my gift.




Comments

Popular Posts