Moss Skirt Reimagined

I have been looking for a denim skirt for quite some time now.  There are plenty in the shops but none that fit me properly and were high waisted and knee length.  Most were very mini even on my short stature.

I had some lavender denim with a slight stretch in my stash since the winter sales.  I was shopping with my daughter and came across this denim and the mustard I made my Ginger Jeans out of recently.  I had intended to make pants with this but my daughter talked me out of it and suggested a skirt.  I am pleased she did.

I have made quite a few versions of Grainline's Moss Mini skirt over the years and loved them all.  I did find however that the waistline is quite low so this time, I wanted to raise it.  From memory I think I raised it by 1.5cm and also made the waistband wider as well by 1cm.  With this skirt, I also wanted to add a tummy stay because I find that often, the pockets pop out and a pocket stay keeps the pocket nice and flat.  This was a pretty simple change with the addition of a two piece pocket instead of the one piece as drafted. The last change was to lengthen the pattern pieces because I didn't want to include the bottom band.


I really wanted to include some lovely pocket stays but unfortunately I didn't have anything suitable in my scrap bin so I ended up cutting up a piece of white cotton poplin from my stash.  Since, using up what I have is my current aim, I just went with what I had.


I did have white jean top stitching thread already in my stash.  Ordering this ahead of time was quite fortuitous because shipping is taking months at the moment.  This is the first time I have used this colour and I have plenty left for future projects.  Normally I would set up two machines when using top stitching thread but this time round, I just used my Juki for the entire project, putting up with the constant re-threading as needed.

I am pretty happy with how the skirt turned out, although for future versions, I may reduce the back rise just a tad because I do have slight bunching there which is probably due to my tilted pelvis.


Summer thus far has been quite ho hum weather wise, so this skirt has been worn far more than I anticipated and fits in well with my current desire for casual clothing.   I can probably also get away with wearing this one to work which is an unexpected bonus.

Comments

Popular Posts