Vogue 1387 Blouse and True Bias Lander Pants



As part of my 'use what I have already in my stash strategy',  I was determined to make up this piece of Atelier Brunette double gauze, Stardust before the winter was over.   I bought it a couple of years ago from Miss Maude but as soon as it arrived I was paralyzed by indecision.  I wanted to make something timeless because this fabric isn't cheap but at the same time I wanted something that could be worn for casual as well as more dressy occasions.  The fabric ended up sitting in my stash through a couple of winters before I pulled it out in July.

Vogue 1387 is a pattern I have made before and it still remains a favourite in my wardrobe so this was a great starting point.  This time I really wanted to change the sleeves up a bit.  I decided that for this version as a point of difference that I would adapt the sleeve pattern to Bishop sleeves.  This is a really easy pattern adaption and involved drawing vertical lines down my pattern at 3cm increments and then slashing and spreading at the cuff end only.  I added a further 3cm into those gaps and then redrew my sleeve band seam.  Rather than pleat the seam into the band, I simply ran a couple of lines of gathering stitch.


Double gauze is extremely popular and while it is soft, it was not easy to work with.  This stuff frays a lot!  It also doesn't hold a press very well.  The other issue I had with the fabric was that after I had cut my fronts I realised that there was a gold spot that had been reversed and was actually white.  Oh no; what to do!  Unfortunately it was in an extremely obvious area.  My solution was to cut another gold spot from a scrap and just hand applique it over the top of the faulty one.  It was a pretty simple solution and a fix that I hope only I can spot (no pun intended).




Now my top was made, I really wanted to make another pair of jeans to go with it.  Enter my generous stash again!  My Landers are some of my most worn pants so I really wanted to add to my collection with a pair in black.  What do you know,  my stash delivered again!  Because I have made several pairs and have now altered my pattern, these were made as quick as a pair of jeans can be.  Because this denim has quite a bit of stretch, they did take a bit of fitting at the side seams and if I am honest, the pockets could have been more generous but hey ho, they are still very useable.  I added a stomach stay which I prefer to a non stretch denim meaning the only real stretch is in the back of the jeans.  I also added twill tape to the top of the waistband to avoid any stretching out here as well.  



I am pretty happy with the entire outfit.  The blouse works with so many other items in my wardrobe and who can go past black pants for just about any situation. Both were worn with boots on a cold August night for a birthday party before we were once again thrown back into lockdown.  They haven't been worn since so I am thinking about different combinations for spring as we open up again.

Comments

  1. I always look at that Vogue blouse pattern but so far haven't bought it, it is very pretty and the color of your version is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite a classic style which is why I chose it for this fabric. It really is a lovely pattern. I tend to make it without the piping on the front.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts