After the relative success with the wearable muslin Sewaholic Thurlows, it was time to make the actual Thurlows.
As described on the pattern, these pants are fitted with a feature fly front closure, slash front pockets and a back extension for easy alteration. They are designed to sit below the waist with a contoured waistband. View A trousers are slightly flared.
My vision was for capri trousers that finish mid calf with side slits. Although my measurements put me between a 4 and 6 pattern, this time, I decided to draft a size 2 because my fabric was now a very soft and stretchy cotton and I did not want it to grow as I wore it, which can sometimes happen.
I had some gorgeous stretch cotton sateen from Lincraft which I bought half price in their sale. Thankfully this fabric was half price because at full price it was $20 per metre and once washed and all of the dressing removed, you wouldn't believe it was the same fabric. The lovely lustre and thickness was gone and the remaining fabric was somewhat limp and not at all like the lovely fabric I was drawn to. However, the colour is still gorgeous and given this fabric still cost me $20 for the two metres, I was determined to use it. The black I bought in the same sale, however will be reserved for another project and not the matching Thurlows I had intended it for which is a little disappointing.
Sewaholic patterns tend to only give rudimentary instructions so I wouldn't recommend this pattern to someone who hasn't had a lot of sewing experience. The first time I made them I found this a little frustrating at one point but now I know what I am doing it does make it easier to follow without wading through lots of paper.
The second change I made was the side leg splits. I simply added a long hem of 10cm to enable the splits to be created.
Since the back extension caused me grief on my trial pair, I left this out altogether and just made a regular seam.
Before I bought this pattern, I had done a lot of research on pattern review. I knew that the correct cut was crucial and I knew that Tasia's patterns are designed for women with hips. I could have adapted my Jalie Jeans pattern but wanted a more of a trouser look as opposed to a jean look.
I love the construction of the fly on this pattern. It makes the finished fly a lot neater and avoids that nasty pulling that can sometimes occur across the fly. I don't like the method of construction that has you sewing the back seam last so I modified this and constructed as normal.
This pattern is going to be my go to pattern for trousers, not jeans, in the future.
I am really happy with the pants, even if the fabric is not as durable thick and lustrous as I first thought. They are sooo comfortable to wear. They may not be around for a long time, but then I suspect, the brightly coloured pants trend won't be around for long anyway. I will just have to enjoy them while I have them.
Yesterday these pants had their first outing to Sumner beach. This was fitting because it was also the kids and my first outing to the beach for the season. I told the kids, the water was too cold to swim which it was, but had they had their wetsuits, the day was beautiful enough that they could have. Instead the boys busied themselves finding star fish, and shelfish in the rock pools. It was a beautiful day for a walk on the beach and surprisingly quiet given the lovely day. We finished with fish and chips bought right across the road....a perfect spring day out!