Bring on the heat!
Let me start by saying, I can't believe it has taken me this long to make my own swim wear. This must have been among the simplest, quickest and most straight forward project I have ever attempted.
I did contemplate modelling my new swimwear on a chaise floating in the pool while sipping a pina colada, but only briefly, before reality set in. Sooo, in the absence of the chaise and the pina colada, this is as resort looking as I could get.
The pattern is McCall's 5400. The packet describes this pattern as a two piece bathing suit and cover up. Lined, halter tops have separate pattern pieces for A/B and C/D cup sizes. The top A has a front ruffle. Tops C, D have purchased swimwear hooks. Top E is waist length. Below waist bottoms have lined crotch and high cut legs. The pullover cover up has long sleeves with seam opening and side slits. I made view E top and view F pants with modifications.
The pattern is sized 4-12. I made a size 10 C/D cup for the top and size 12 for the pants.
I chose this pattern and fabric at the end of last summer in one of Lincrafts half price sales. From memory, the nylon Lycra that I chose was around $7 per metre and given I used less than a metre, this was an economical project.
Like the last pair of bikini pants I made using this pattern, I added a band to the top as I like a higher pair of pants without actually making the higher version. I did find with the last pair that the band unfolded when I was wearing them so this time I chose to make the band narrower and avoid the fold all together. This time I also used rubber elastic instead of the poly braid elastic that I used last time and this resulted in a nicer fit. I extended the top by 13cm in length because I wanted the top to finish at hip length and not waist length and also added 1.5cm in width at each side because I felt that it was too narrow in the hips and didn't want it to roll up when worn. With the cup lining, I cut it in a half crescent shape at the side seam which left an opening through which I could pop some padded inserts in.
I finished the hem by over locking and turning and a twin needled hem. This is a new trick for me and I am now a convert to twin needles. I have a cover stitch machine but this is definitely a good, I can't be bothered setting it up lazy option, for me.
The instructions were extremely easy to follow and I will definitely be making more of these. The finished product looks exactly like the picture (apart from the changes I made). Next time, I would like to try view C top, with a few alterations. I have to say, there is nothing about this pattern not to like. It is easy and the finished product is flattering. Now, all I need is some hot weather....oh and the chaise and pina colada!