And no, I am not referring to a wonder diet but my latest version of Jalie Jeans. I bought this green acid wash fabric online a while ago when my search for coloured denim in the fabric shops turned up nothing. The trouble is, by the time the fabric arrived my daughter had talked me into a rtw pair which is why this fabric has taken me so long to make up. I now wished I had waited because I am thrilled with this latest and very colourful addition to my wardrobe.
Like my previous pairs of non stretch denim, I added 1.5cm to each side seam when I cut them out and just fitted them when they were nearly complete. I actually ended up running them in quite a bit in places but using this technique I have ended up with ease where I need it the most.
For the topstitching and the decoration on the pockets, I used regular sewing thread which I picked up at Lincraft. To make the stitching more visible on the pockets, I used a decorative bar tack stitch.
Because I have made so many of these jeans now, I whipped these up pretty quickly and without incident but using my new sewing machine did present me with the odd problem. It could have been the needle I was using, because it wasn't new, but my machine did not like the denim even though I would class it as a mid weight denim. I had to drag out my 50 year old Bernina Record for the thick areas.
I can report though, that my new machine makes fantastic button holes. The instructions in the book were less than adequate so it took me quite a few attempts to get them right. I finally worked out that the fabric is supposed to be sandwiched between the two metal layers on the button hole foot. Buttonholes in the past have been somewhat of a nemesis so long may it continue.