Thursday, February 7, 2013

Nights In White Satin



This set was supposed to be part of Cloth Habit's bra making sewalong but life conspired against me and I just didn't get time to participate.  It wasn't the sewing that took the time, although I did have to dedicate an entire day to the project, but the collecting of the supplies is where most of my time was used.
  


I made the set out of some white nylon lycra (note exactly white satin, I know) that I did buy specifically for a set late last year.  I made my trial pair of undies out of this fabric here.  I bought half a metre of this lovely fabric and this was enough for 3 pairs of undies and 1 bra, so at $8 per metre it was very cost effective.  The lace content was leftover from Courteney's dress and has been used for  a few projects since.  This time I bought a set of wires from Lincraft which actually worked out at $3 per set which I thought was very reasonable.  Their elastic on the other hand was not.  I bought a lovely heavy lingerie elastic for the bra which was the same elastic I used on my last set but I ran out of the lighter undie elastic and ended up also paying $5 per metre for some more at Lincraft and when each pair uses 1.6 metres, it actually works out quite expensive, although it is nice quality.

The pattern I used for the undies was once again McCall's 5400.  I actually cut the elastic smaller than is called for with swimwear elastic, like I did with the last set, using 60cm around the waist and 50cm around each leg.  I added a small lace detail at each side but instead of cutting away the back of the lace, I left the lycra there for durability.

For the bra, I once again used Kwik Sew 3300.  I made this bra, slightly differently to the last one.  I found that the lycra combination I used last time is a little stretchy and is therefore not as supportive as it could be.   This isn't really a big problem when you are a B cup but this time I was aiming for more support.   I pondered the lining for quite a while before I delved into my scrap box and came out with some white cotton fleece knit with no stretch.  This proved to be the perfect solution because I prefer natural fabrics next to my skin.


The straps were made using matching lycra and stitching and turning before threading through some poly braid elastic.  I then used my 3 step zig zag to secure the elastic in place.  It has provided the perfect amount of stretch.  I have anchored it at both elastic points on the back and permanently attached it to a ring at the front.


I have temporarily retired these patterns now, while I search for elastics in colours.  I think I have it sorted.  Some red and blue elastic would be nice!  I already have a bag of small pieces of suitable fabric to make more sets but finding the elastic is the biggest challenge.  I am always up for a sewing challenge!


12 comments:

  1. I'm always surprised at the cost of elastic, so I keep an eye out for it and buy random colours when I come across them. Good luck in your elastic quest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to do that as well. $5 per metre is way too high!

      Delete
  2. This set looks fantastic. I also missed the sewalong (school holidays got totally in the way) and have put off making bras due to the difficulty of finding supplies. I would like to give it a try one day so your info is really useful. Maybe I'll wait until you have all the supply sources sorted and then leap on your bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am working on it. I do know there is a manufacturer somewhere in New Zealand. That may be a good place to start!

      Delete
  3. I have done some online research, and Cordall look positive www.cordall.co.nz. They manufacture here in New Zealand. I am going to try some of his red and white and see how it goes. I will post an update when I know more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, that is exactly the same title I gave to my white denim jeans....
    Nice new set. Good luck with your quest to find different colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh was it! Whitey tighties used to be a term here often referring to men's Y front undies I assume because originally they were white. Hopefully my efforts are a little more stylish lol! I am working on the elastic.

      Delete
  5. Great set. The work that you've put into this set. It's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I originally had this post titled Whitey Tighties after mens underwear but after a google search of the term I learn't that some of those images are quite disturbing and I really didn't want my images coming up with that lot so changed my title. Phew...disaster averted or should I say perverted averted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely set! (Google searches are so weird... anything related to lingerie ends up in weird at some point!) I don't know if you like this sort of thing, but I sometimes interface lycra with a fusible to stabilize it. And you're so right about elastic... not only colors but good quality is hard to come by. I've been playing around with dyeing a lot lately. Especially because I have so much white...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try the fusible trick and dyeing the white is a great idea. I have a swatch card of coloured elastic on it's way from a manufacturer in New Zealand. Hopefully being New Zealand made it will be good stuff!

      Delete