At the beginning of 2012, yes, I know a whole year ago, young J asked me to make him some new school shorts. At that point he had a whole drawer full of shorts inherited from his brother who was beginning high school, so I artfully avoided the topic with all sorts of mumblings about hand me downs. The trouble was that these shorts were starting to look a little washed out by the start of 2013. I put off the whole school shorts issue as long as I could before guilt really set in. These were supposed to be made before school went back and I did briefly consider buying a pair but my stash was beckoning and I just couldn't justify it knowing I had the fabric and elastic just waiting at home.
On Friday afternoon, I bit the bullet and whipped these up. I used Topkids 57 again, the same pattern as the pair I made for him in the spring. This pair however did not have the bells and whistles. They are made of cotton drill. They have no waistband. Instead, I found a piece of blue chambray and made a facing and a full elastic waist. I inserted only one pocket, into the side seam. J's school has a rubbish free lunch policy, so any Gladwrap or packaging inevitably comes home in his pockets, so, with only one pocket, I only have to check one before washing the shorts! Genius! Because these shorts have to be hard wearing, I top stitched all of the seams for durability. A 9 year old boy does not treat his clothing kindly, so they had to be able to withstand the rigours of lunchtime football.
This photo was taken at 8.10am this morning. He was keen to leave, as the Crusaders rugby team were doing community work at the local playcentre this morning, and he wanted to