I arrived home from work last Thursday, to find out my daughter who was procrastinating from studying, had cleaned the house from top to bottom. Fantastic, I had a three day weekend ahead and no chores! What is a girl to do; sew of course!
I began with a pattern that has been on my radar for quite some time, Colette Sorbetto. I had some very bright pink floral seersucker that I wasn't sure what to do with and found a remnant of pink gingham in my leftovers basket. I knew the two were destined to be together. I whipped down to the mall and picked up a bias binding maker to make the job easier. Up until now, I had made binding manually. This little tool is a revelation. Why had I waited this long to buy one of these things! They are worth their weight in gold. I made the Sorbetto up in a size 4 and lengthened the pattern to the larges size. I graded to a size 6 in the hips. I really like this top and I know there will be more.
It was while I was making my Sorbetto, that I had a brainwave! I had tragically spilled bleach on my lovely linen shift dress earlier in the week rendering it useless. After mourning it's loss for a few days and berating myself for my carelessness, I whipped out the zip and using the useful pieces, a remnant of compressed dacron, and the leftovers from my Sorbetto, I made a bag. I feel a whole lot better about the demise of one of my favourite dresses now! As a bonus, it is the perfect size work tote. I can fit in my diary, morning tea, and a cardigan and my keys, phone and other little essentials all live in the two small interior pockets.