Nothing But Truffle!

 


Some of my readers will know that in Christchurch, we have had a 100 year storm this week which caused widespread flooding, gale force winds and very cool temperatures.  Those same readers will then realise that this photo was not taken this week.  In fact it was taken at the beginning of February and my blogging is actually that far behind...tisk tisk!


I had this very vibrant stretch cotton sateen in my stash since spring and loved the semi flourescent graphic print.  I had my heart set on a simple shift of some sort that would make the fabric the star of the show.  I borrowed Colette Sewing Book from the library and traced the Truffle dress.  During the intervening months I kept coming back to this pattern despite considering others.


This project was actually conceived one Friday afternoon in January.  Friday's are not usually days I take on a new project due to my weekends being characteristically chaotic.  Friday's at best are usually used for those, 'my brain can't focus on a large project, lets make a token top' kind of projects.  So why I decided to start on a new dress, I am not sure!


Now, let me just say, that what looks like a simple dress turned out to be anything but!  I must have unpicked every seam at least twice.  I do know I inserted that darn zip 3 times due to fitting issues.  To add insult to injury, at my final fitting, the neckline gaped, not just a little, but seriously.  I had cut the dress to size 4, when I am usually a size 6, so I thought fitting wise, I should be relatively safe.  Short of cutting a new bodice, which I did consider overnight, the only way I could see of overcoming it was to add darts.  Now I am not terribly happy with the dart but master 10 assures me that my dress is perfect.  In his words, 'most mums can't even make a dress and wouldn't notice the darts'.  Hmmm I think I may have used a similar line on him at some point in time!


Now, advice from small people aside, I have learn't something from this experience, Colette patterns just do not suit my shape.  Which begs the question.....do I make up the skirt pattern that I haven't yet tried and has been gathering dust for close to a year or do I just move on.



Comments

  1. I agree Colette patterns don't suit everyone, but I do agree with your insightful 10yo - the dress looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite my continuing reservations with this dress, the fabric has won over and I wear this a lot.

      Delete
  2. I love this dress, beautiful vibrant fabric and I agree with your son - it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do like the basic shape, if only the bodice had worked out a little better.

      Delete
  3. The dress has worked...probably because busy prints can hide a multitude of sins! There are pattern companies that I avoid because they don't draft to my shape...if I stick to the same few companies, the fitting changes I need to make are less traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of the day the 'sins' are minor but being a perfectionist, I know they are there.

      Delete
  4. I love the fabric and the style really suits you. It's a shame you had to make so many changes to get it right, but it certainly looks great now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I knew that if I didn't get it just right that I simply wouldn't wear it and I do love the fabric!

      Delete
  5. I think the dress turned out lovely and is a great marriage of pattern and fabric. I think we have all had projects where nothing seems to go right. I like to stick with pattern companies that I know fit me well to save myself heartache. Do you have another similar skirt pattern where you can add the scalloped hem instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Actually it isn't the meringue that I was thinking of. I have already made that one. I can't remember the name of it but it buttons up the front.

      Delete
  6. You did end up with a great dress! I have avoided Colette patterns because I know they are not drafted for my body shape. A lot of the independents draft for a specific body shape -- I'm just waiting on someone to take on the rectangles;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hmm rectangles, sorry I can't help you with that one. I can't decide if I am a pear or an hourglass. In reality I am probably a bit of both. You could try Lekala because you can specify the pattern to be drafted to your measurements.

      Delete
  7. I'm pretty sure Colette patterns wouldn't fit me well either, judging from all the blogged makes I've seen. And it sounds extremely irritating to have had to adjust so much - but your son is right, and the dress looks perfectly lovely on you. Maybe it needs some time in the magic wardrobe so you can forget about the frustrations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I suspect with autumn on its way that time in the wardrobe will not be a problem.

      Delete
  8. The dress looks great, love the fabric! I've never sewn a Colette pattern so not sure how they fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That design does look really gorgeous I can see why it caught your eye! I've never tried Colette patterns either; getting the book from the library definitely sounds like the smart way to go :)

      Delete
    2. If only the library stocked more sewing books!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts