When the underwire began poking out of my seaspray spot set it became increasingly obvious that it was time to make another underwear set. The whole process is still very much a learning experience. My favourite set to date is my white set. Why? Well this set is made of sturdy fabric and lined with a thick non stretch cotton sweat-shirting. This works very well for support but does mean that the centre cup seam is visible under clothing.
Once again I used Kwik Sew 3300 and McCalls 5400. To avoid the visible cup seam issue, I changed the order of construction on the next set. Instead of joining all of the pieces at the centre cup seam in one big thick seam, I constructed the outer lining and cotton fleece interlining separately. I also flat zigzagged the cotton fleece at the centre cup to avoid a large ridge. I then stitched the front cup seam and under stitched all 3 layers together at the centre cup seam. It all sounds very complicated but was actually quite simple.
The fabric I used was leftover from this dress and the sweat-shirting was a remnant from kids sweatshirts. The only thing I really had to account for was the hooks and elastic which were in my stash and the power net for the back straps. The slides and eyes I picked up really cheaply at Lincraft. The escaping wires were from the previous set so all in all it was quite cheap to produce.
When I showed my husband what I had made he commented that I won't be wearing it under a white top. This is quite true but given winter is coming, I quite like the idea of colourful under things on an otherwise dull day.