A Beach Dress



Red and white candy striped fabric reminds me of beach huts, deck chairs and beach bags.  It is quite surprising then, that even though these images are conjured up when I see this fabric, it took so long to realise that this fabric was destined to become something beachy!  I bought it at the op shop, ages ago.  So long ago in fact that I can't even remember when!  It is a seersucker so the risk in making it up was that I would turn it into something juvenile.  I did however need something to throw over my swim suit this summer and this fabric was the obvious choice. It was light weight and didn't require ironing which is essential when camping.  Right before Christmas I set about turning an otherwise useless piece of fabric into something altogether useful but even as I cut it out I wasn't sure whether I was on to a winner.



I chose New Look 6781 which was already in my collection but at this point unused.  I cut both the front yoke and the front pieces on the fold, lengthened of course,  and hoped like heck I would be able to pull the dress on without the need for a zipper.  The yoke I cut with the stripes running across and the rest of the dress running down.  I then cut bias strips to finish both the neck and armholes.  I had just enough leftover to cut pockets for no other reason than I wanted pockets.




After trying the dress on I thought it would benefit from a couple of fish eye darts in the back and I think this really helped elevate it from shapeless sack into something altogether wearable.




I am really pleased with the results and glad I took a risk on both the fabric choice and the creative licence I took with the pattern.  Oh, and I was really relieved to discover that I could pull it on over my head with ease, thank goodness!



Did I wear this dress on holiday?  As you can see, yes I did and as a swimsuit cover up.  No, that is not my underwear you can see in the photographs, phew!

These pictures were taken at Kaiteriteri beach, one of my favourite parts of New Zealand.

Comments

  1. Hope you had a great holiday! Kaiteriteri is so beautiful with it's golden sand. Beach dresses are so handy and I bet you got a lot of wear out of this one. I tend to wear my Juliette dress over my swimsuit because it is comfy and cool, and still looks OK after being scrunched up in a beach bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry! Crush resistance is definitely a bonus for a beach dress.

      Delete
  2. This turned out great Andrea. The perfect beach dress. Hope you had a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you love it when you just do what feels right and it all works out perfectly! It's a great beach cover up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is nice to take a risk and have it pay off.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful beach.
    I adore seersucker, I think of it as nostalgic rather then juvenile.
    Very snappy.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work! I think it looks chic and elegant and just perfect for the beach. <3 both seersucker and stripes, and when you put them together... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great summer combination, especially for the beach.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts