Burdastyle 06/2016 112 Dress
Because I really love this fabric, I was a little weary of ruining it so my first step was to make a muslin. I used a bit of useless taslon from my stash so this muslin was never intended to be wearable. I had read the only review I could find for this pattern by The Clothing Engineer. I did find that although the dress fitted well, the cutout at the back didn't sit as well as it should so for my final version I removed it altogether. In doing so I think I may have inserted and removed the zip a total of 3 times! For someone who was inexperienced at inserting invisible zippers, I have certainly nailed it now! The other change I made was to omit the neck band and use a bias strip instead. It did take a little fiddling to get it to sit flat but I think it was probably easier than trying to get the tiny neckband to sit correctly.
The bodice called for lining and it took a while for me to work out how I would achieve this in the stretch fabric. The cotton sateen would have been too bulky as a lining. I found a piece of stretch georgette in my stash and this worked perfectly. I particularly wanted a stretch lining to go with my stretch cotton sateen.
I wore my new dress to my husbands office Christmas function at a Waiheke Island Vineyard a couple of weekends ago. It is really nice to wear and in omitting the cutout at the back, the dress will transition nicely to a work dress further down the track.