DVS Wrap Dress


 
Confession time....I have too much fabric.  There I said it!  I have been trying to reduce it for the last year, but try as I do, I just can't seem to.  The lure of the sale or the pretty piece of fabric is too much.  So when I had the chance to visit Mood Fabrics in New York in September, I was quite torn about the prospect of acquiring more fabric.  On the one hand, I really wanted to buy souvenir fabric but on the other hand, really, more fabric!  So I made myself a little promise that anything I bought needed to be bought right to the top of the queue and I had to have a project for said fabric before I left the shop.  I can safely say for the most part I have succeeded, although one piece of fabric still doesn't have a project tagged to it, the rest are in the process of being made up.  That is where my latest project comes in.  No, it isn't part of my holiday purchases but it was made as a wearable muslin for 'the' fabric.


The pattern I had chosen for fabric A of my trip was Vogue 8379.  This pattern has been extremely popular on the web over the last couple of years and I also felt given it is a DVF wrap dress style pattern that it is very fitting for New York fabric.  I even walked past Diane  von Furstenberg's   shop/headquarters while walking the Chelsea Highline.



The fabric, for my trial is a lovely piece of rayon knit that had been in my stash for several years and originally purchased for $3 per metre on Fabric Visions Sale table.  I really like the fabric so I didn't want to use it on any project but I just felt this one would work.



The dress itself was really quick to make up and I followed the instructions for the most part, even including the neck facings which I was quite torn about.  I don't like facings on knit but since I was trialling the pattern, I thought I should follow their lead and I actually don't dislike the results although I may change it if I make this pattern again.  I did go a little off piste with the sleeves though and decided to add a flounce.  I used the flounce pattern piece from McCall's 7542 to make the dress a little more current.   I think this is actually one of my favourite features of my new dress.


By now you are probably wondering if Vogue 8379 made the cut for my Mood Fabric!  Actually, no it didn't.  While I like my new dress, I really don't love it!  I am not sure why and it might grow on me but for my Mood fabric, I really want to love it!



Comments

  1. It is very cute but good thing you didn't use your "unicorn" fabric on it :)
    I love wrap dresses -- in theory. I don't like wearing them. I have to make myself stop making them because I'm rarely feeling the love for them once they're on my body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be wrap dresses in general for me too. There is something about the tie that bothers me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts