Burdastyle 04/2013 in that Fabric
I have made the Burdastyle Shift from 04/2013 four times before, here as a top, here as a dress, I mashed it up with another pattern to make this top and more recently to make this dress which has now been recycled into a Sierra Playsuit.
So what is different about my current dress? Not a lot really, I picked the best bits of all of my previous versions and created this dress. I left off the neck facing binding thingy which would make the neckline too high and instead made a full lining in cotton poplin. I increased the bust darts because I found them a little inadequate on me and added a smidge to the side seams to create a little more ease and also raised the armhole a couple of centimeters. I also left out the zip, preferring to add a slit at the back and a hook closure.
The fabric I used doesn't really need any introduction. This linen cotton fabric was all over Instagram last summer when everyone shopped at Spotlight on the same day I think! I bought mine this year with this exact dress in mind. I also loved the look of Tessuti's Bondi dress and did briefly consider buying it but when I thought about it, it really there isn't much difference to this pattern, so as the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Once I had finished my dress, I popped a ootd photo on Instagram and I was informed that Dolce and Gabanna had a very similar dress in their collection. It appears I am right on trend then!
I have worn this dress a lot. It is fabulous in the heat both as a work appropriate dress and as seen here with my jandals (flip flops/thongs depending on where you live) as a beach dress. In fact I love it so much that I have made another one!