Thursday, February 12, 2015

Burda Style Dress


After the success of my Burdastyle 04/2013 top, I shopped my stash and found some lovely medium weight op shop linen in the darkest of browns. On showing it to Courteney she vetoed the whole idea.  I slept on it a bit longer but could not give up on my linen shift so I dug around in my stash a bit deeper and found a piece of yellowing vintage lace that my mother had gifted me. 





After a bath in bleach the now snow white lace was destined to be my trim.  I cut the lace so as to just avoid the bust darts and proceeded to assemble my dress identically to the top overlaying the lace on my dress front only.



Unfortunately I forgot all about my previous dart and side seam alterations so a certain amount of unpicking was required. 




Once again, unlike the pattern, I finished the keyhole back, button loop, neckline and armholes with self made binding.  I then hand stitched the lace across the front, just catching every third circle of lace.



I really like the end result and while not voluminous as Tessuti's version it is cool and comfortable to wear.



13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. The linen and lace combo is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Brown is not one of my colours so I needed to do something to lift it.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful! I love the linen/lace combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It does give some interest to an otherwise plain dress.

      Delete
  3. Lovely dress. The lace is a wonderful detail that lifts an otherwise plain dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It would be very plain without the lace and I doubt the colour would do anything for me.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous vintage lace and beautiful linen. I do believe you are the luckiest fabric op shopper of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would like to think I was the luckiest but I wish I had the time to pop in more and get more bargains.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It does have a bit of a 60s/70s vibe doesn't it!

      Delete
  6. So cute! I really love the lace detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margo! I love the lace as well. I was tempted to save it for something special but sometimes it is better just to go with it because the something special may never present itself.

      Delete
  7. I really like the combo of the lace and linen. The dress looks so cool and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete