Boylston Set Number Two

 


How quickly time flies!  My first Orange Lingerie Boylston set was made in March last year.  At the time, I promised there would be more, and there should have been,  well before now!  This particular set was inspired by a trip to Fabric Vision.  On their $3 table was a couple of coordinating pieces of fabric that I knew would be perfect for underwear.  The first is a nylon lycra, I think, because the fabric wasn't labeled.  It isn't heavy enough for swimwear but had a similar sheen and a similar stretch.  Sitting right beside it was a roll of mesh knit that matched the shade of coral I had chosen as my base colour.  Given this is Pantone colour of the year, it just had to come home with me!



Rather than stash this fabric, never to be seen again, I popped these two pieces right in my queue.  I ordered my elastics and findings from Nellie Jones and Aliexpress and once they arrived I started working on a replacement for my last set, which had just succumbed to the evils of the washing machine.

After consulting Google, I measured myself properly to make sure that my measurements hadn't changed in the last year and then began making what I thought was the correct size bra.  It turns out that my cup size was too small, so part way through I had to print and cut out new cups.  This set me back a bit time wise but not fabric wise.  


This time round I chose to use a strip of fold over elastic to cover my seams in the cups.  I have never found this to be a durability weakness spot so this was more for aesthetics than anything.  Because I had made this pattern before, the whole project should have come together rather quickly, but I do tend to get distracted by life, so in reality it came together over the course of a weekend.


I had already decided I would mix things up a bit with the underwear this time.  I printed out and cut out Megan Neilsen's Acacia underwear.  These did come together super quickly.  

I used different elastic for the underwear than I did for my bra.  The picot elastic was bought from Cordall which is a New Zealand manufacturer.  I bought this a few years ago now.  I am not even sure they still sell to the public.

To get the lining for the underwear I had to sacrifice a camisole because I didn't have any black knit in my stash.


I will definitely being making this underwear again.  This is a really nicely drafted pattern and the fit is spot on. The only complaint I have with this set is the bra band is slightly too tight.  Next time I will add 1cm to each side of the back.  For this set though, I have ordered a band extender from Aliexpress.  In the meantime I am just wearing it as is.

Comments

Popular Posts