Amazing Fit Wool Pants


My latest project in partnership with Minerva Crafts, began before COVID-19 lock down.  So much has changed since then.  When I originally chose the fabric in my latest project, I envisaged a structured suit that could be worn together or separately.  I did not envisage being locked down with no reason to put on anything other than track pants for my work at home life.

The fabric I picked is a lovely Portuguese stretch wool blend suiting that turned out to be lighter weight than I was expecting.  My idea for a winter suit was put on the back burner both because of the weight of the fabric and because suddenly a business type suit, was the furthermost thing from my mind.  I also  found that I had ordered not quite enough fabric for this anyway!

I put the fabric aside and stroked it every now and then, as only a sewist would do when planning a project.  This went on for more than a month, when I decided I would just have to bite the bullet and make it up.




My project of choice was a lovely floaty skirt from Ottobre Magazine.    This was my first mistake.  Wool suiting is not floaty and the skirt I ended up with just looked all wrong.  Now determined not to waste the fabric, I used what I had left to make a pair of pants, which is what I had originally intended.  The pattern is Simplicity 8842, which is an Amazing Fit Pattern and is perfect for this mid weight suiting.    I was very careful to cut all the small pieces from the flounce of the skirt so as not to waste any more fabric than was necessary.


The pattern itself has you construct the pants similar to how men's suit pants are constructed.  Although more time consuming, I really like how the waistband is attached before the side seams are sewn up.  I also like the wide centre back seam.  This pattern is very good for adjusting the fit on the go.  The side seams are 1" wide so there is lots of scope for adjustment.  I also like that if I should lose or gain a bit of weight, altering the pants are relatively simple.  I also like the stomach stay which keeps those front pleats sitting nice and flat.  The best part of this style though, is although they are high waisted, they sit on the waist and not above which is perfect for someone who is short waisted, aka me!


As you can imagine, there was a lot of fiddling and fitting with these pants because this is the first time I have made them.  The fabric, frayed terribly so working with it wasn't easy but it did press like a dream and shouldn't crease too badly which is a pet peeve of mine.



I really like the finished pants.  I don't think they are heavy enough for a New Zealand winter so they haven't been worn at all yet, but I do envisage them worn with a floaty top and a pair of sneakers (trainers).  I would rate this project as a complete success and would definitely use this pattern again.  Being short waisted I really like how these pants hit the waistline without sitting above the waist.  I really don't think the lack of  projects on the net is any reflection of this pattern.  I personally think it is one of those undiscovered gems and would work well in a number of different leg shapes. Now that spring is starting to kick in these pants will be on regular rotation in my work and maybe even weekend wardrobe.   

Pants
Fabric (gifted) $0.00
Zip (from stash) $0.00
Button (from stash) $0.00
Pattern $8.85
Total $8.85

Comments

  1. I have this pattern in stash after getting a great fit from another Amazing Fit pant. I love how they turned out and glad you were able to salvage from the skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really rate those amazing fit patterns. The illustrations are often lacking but they make really good basics.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts