The Blazer That Nearly Broke Me

 


My latest make is the last make of winter.  Time to move on to lighter brighter clothing.  What a way to end my winter sewing though.  This jacket just about broke me but more on that in a minute.


Last winter I made Burdastyle 03/2015 112 as a muslin for this blazer.  It is fair to say I love the resulting blazer so much it was definitely a hard act to follow.  The fabric was a  quality wool blend that didn't crease but held a press well.  My latest version, I fear is none of those things.  It is a wool blend but doesn't press well and shines up really easily and lets not even mention that it creases badly, argh!

This blazer has been in the planning stages for a year.  It probably should have stayed that way.  Anyone who has ever tried working with black at night might tend to agree with me.  Most of my sewing time is in hours of darkness so I really don't know what I was thinking making a blazer in black.

The fabric is left over from a vest I made my son when he graduated from Intermediate School.  The fabric was originally bought from a sale table at Lincraft.  I have no idea why I ordered so much but I suspect it was the lure of a bargain. Since it is 4 years since I bought it and the vest is long gone, I had forgotten what a beast of a fabric it was to work with.  Did I mention it also frays like crazy?  Just as well then, I was working with a pattern that I was familiar with and didn't need to alter.



For a blazer this went together relatively quickly.  I made a rather fortuitous decision to line it in some lovely caramel coloured satin from my stash that had also been sourced from a sale table.  Yay a break from black!  I even had the perfect enamel buttons that I had bought from Aliexpress some time earlier which give it a touch of class, I think.

I have worn the blazer a couple of times, but my office has unexpected turned from a normal office environment to a more casual one for reasons I won't get into here.  I am also a little traumatized by this make so it needs to sit on my mannequin for a bit so the passage of time can do its thing. I do envisage it being worn with sneakers and jeans so will get quite a bit of wear I imagine.  Right, job done!  Bring on spring sewing!


Blazer
Pattern (used before) $0.00
Fabric (remnant) $0.00
Lining $12.00
Buttons $5.42
Total $17.42



Comments

  1. Your blazer looks so good paired with jeans and sneakers. I too love a blazer but my work is so casual it’s cardigans all the way now. I can now barely see well enough to sew black so I feel your pain. Despite everything the end result looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. despite the trouble with the fabric it looks super sharp! great fit too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts