Rebirth of Ruined Ponte


 I was at a clothing manufacturers closing down sale recently and had my eyes on a roll of lovely quality ponte fabric.  I found a spot to leave the ponte by the counter while I whipped over to the cash machine to get some money to pay for my purchases because for some reason this sale was cash only.  While I was away my fabric roll must have fallen over and landed in a bucket of oil!  Oh the horror!  Anyway, to cut a long story short, I paid for my other purchases and took my now dripping roll of fabric amongst other things home where I rolled it out on the lawn and cut it into more manageable pieces.  I had intended to cut the sopping piece off the end of the roll but wondered if I could wash it out.  A couple of cycles through my machine on hot wash and the fabric had been restored, thankfully!  So what to make with it?  Well there is rather a lot of it so I thought I would start with a pair of pants and comfy pants at that!

A new to me pattern company is Pattern Emporium.  I stumbled across them when they released another pattern that I am interested in.  When I had a look at their collection, I realised that they specialize in patterns for knits which I have to say, are completely my jam!  I love to wear knits and love to sew them just about as much.  I really love clothing that is comfortable, forgiving of weight fluctuations and look put together and if I can get away without ironing I know I am on a winner!  I also had in the back of my mind, upcoming abdominal surgery that will require loose elastic waisted clothing and these get a big tick on both accounts. While I was looking through their site, I came across their Urban Pants pattern which comes in 3 views, wide flared and tapered.  I decided to make the wide leg pants.

Ponte is actually not one of the recommended fabrics for the Urban Pants although they do mention it in their instructions that it can be done in some instances.  This ponte is very stretchy so I figured that actually this would work.  To make sure, I added extra width to the waist panel, but actually in hindsight I probably needn't have bothered.  Because my fabric was quite weighty, I also opted to add elastic to the waist panel.



I have to say, these pants turned out just as I had hoped.  For all those people working remotely at the moment and want comfortable WFH pants, these would be fantastic.  For me though, they make fabulous in office pants that can be dressed up or down as required.  These are definitely a win and this pattern will be used again.  I think there may be a few more Pattern Emporium patterns that find their way into my collection as well, just quietly!


Fabric $0.00

Pattern $15.66

Elastic (from stash) $0.00

Total $15.66


Comments

  1. So happy you were able to salvage that fabric :). I'll have to look up this pattern company as yuour pants turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine! They have a lot of knit patterns I am keen to try.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts